thinning fruit and pruning a branch, that Meyer lemon

sunnysideuphill(5)April 2, 2012

Hello all,

I posted earlier about my Meyer lemon blossoming - well there are two tiny lemons on one little branch, and another with loads of buds. The lemons are on such a tiny little branch - about the thickness of a six strand cotton embroidery floss. Should I take off one of them?

Also, there is a long branch, no fruiting or blooming evidence, just a 3 foot branch and leaves. It is almost twice as long as the other branches which are 18" to 2 feet; at about 18", it has a secondary branch about 4" long with nice healthy little leaves. My "design eye" says prune it down to that new branch, so that the overall shape is consistent. What do you all think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

The long shoot is likely a watersprout; I would prune it back to the level of the general canopy, both for esthetics and to "force" the growth back to "normal".
FYI, if you are getting watersprouts, it probably means you are being a little too kind to your tree.
As for the lemons, leave them for now; later, if you see they are getting too heavy for the branch you can thin them; but Meyer limbs are very resistant... also, often if the fruit bends the branch down, other upright shoots will come off the branch. Keep doing what you are doing, but maybe a little less food... and next time, post pictures; it makes it much easier to diagnose.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
Questions about repotting container grown citrus
Hi all, I am a complete newbie but I have taken great...
emilygreenie
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
New growth still light greenish
I recently acquired 2 page oranges and one has had...
sgreer13
Sponsored Products
Red Vanilla Fruit Salad Coupe Rice/ Fruit Bowls (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Ingo Maurer | Metall T. Cooper Table Lamp
YLighting
Outdoor Beverage Table
$1,450.00 | Horchow
Ravenscroft Grand Cru Stemmed Glasses
Classic Hostess
True Modern | Jackson "U" Shaped Sectional Sofa
YLiving.com
Accent Rug: Brazil Green 2' 2" x 3'
$33.97 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™