Rate of Growth

harryshoe zone6 eastern PennsylvaniaMay 14, 2007

Though only in year 2, my Betty Corning clematis is growing so fast that I was doubting what I was seeing. I used marks on my trellis to see how fast she was going. She grew 18" in one week.

How long will this rate continue?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolfm(z7upstate SC)

Hi Harry,

I bought Betty Corning last spring, planted it last fall, cut it back to the ground this spring and it has already covered a 6 foot trellis. She's scaring me. Crispa is doing the same.

Carol

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 5:04PM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Each year she'll get bigger and grow faster..LOL..she'll continue this growth and then start blooming...Jeanne

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 5:10PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

I do see a few buds forming on the tallest vines. At the same time there are more new growth tips forming at the leaf axis. The new tips are now starting to grow quickly.

Will this growth continue all season? My arbor is 7' tall and 4x4 at the base. BC has now reached 5'. Should I begin training the vines laterally or just let them grow naturally?

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 7:16AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Harry..just let her do her thing and sit back and enjoy what's about to happen..her beautiful blooms..remember "Betty Corning" is a pruning group 3 and you'll be hard pruning her again next year..did you read up about her on COTW? She can easily grow 6-9 feet tall..you can help train her vines sideways if you want..I hope you will share pics when she is in full bloom!!..Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 9:53AM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Harry trying to keep up with training a clematis as vigorous as Betty Corning would be a daunting task. You can do it if you have the time but I personally would let her do her own thing and drape back down as she would do in nature without man's intervention.

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 12:30PM
carolfm(z7upstate SC)

Harry, I am letting mine do her own thing and she has draped herself on the trellis beautifully. I haven't helped her at all. She is covered with blooms now and a sight to behold!

Carol

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 12:46PM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

I'm with Miguel..just let her do her thang!!..Lucky you!!..Jeanne

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 12:55PM
marcia_il(5a)

Here's my Betty from 2005. She's one of my favorites. You can imagine how big she is now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Betty Corning 2005

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 8:15PM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Great picture of BC there Marcia!

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 1:31AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Oh WOW Marcia..she is splendid...LOL..Did Harry fall outta his chair when he saw that pic?..Tee hee..Jeanne

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 8:20AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Yes Jeanne....I think I'm gonna need a bigger arbor (said in same tone used by the sheriff in Jaws).

I'm starting to think my Westerland rose, sharing the same arbor, is going to be MIA.

Spectacular picture Marcia. At first I'm thinking those blooms are just little tiny things like honesuckle. Then I realize they are 3+ inches each and know what you have created. "Its Alive!"

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 10:41AM
carolfm(z7upstate SC)

Marcia, that is a gorgeous sight! Wow.

Carol

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 8:50AM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

That's astounding! All mine are babies, and that's okay, I like to watch my plants grow, but now I suspect I might not have allowed enough room for some of them. I wonder if a 14 x 10 ft deck is big enough for 8 clematis??? It is about 4 ft off the ground. I have 3 roses along the longest section of deck and they are 2 rugoses and a climber- so they are not small- and they grow a lot faster than clematis! But, I don't mean to change the subject.
I can't imagine any of mine being that big! Brandy

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 8:25PM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

If the deck is 4 feet off the ground, that means the clematis have the 4 feet plus the height of the railing and then down the inside lenght of the railing before they would be on the floor of the deck. As for the overall length of the deck (14feet), that should be long enough for the 8 clematis but then again, I believe in cramming as many as close together as possible.

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 1:41AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

"I believe in cramming as many as close together as possible."
I do love the way you think Miguel..LOL..Jeanne

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 11:11AM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Too funny Jeanne!

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™