Training tree to grow straight

zecowsayApril 7, 2010

Hi everyone... so I just got an order of two trees from Logee's, a smaller 8 inch Meyer and a sprawling 18 inch Rangpur lime. My problem is that the Rangpur is growing out at an awkward sideways angle. Is there anyway to train this to grow straight up, more like a classic tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I'd put a stake down into the soil on the right side of the pot. Then tie the sprout to the stake. You could also insert a stake right next to the tree and tie in several places to straighten it up. After one year it will remain in place.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 12:26PM
zecowsay

Thanks for the help. I staked it up, looks a little awkward but less so than a tree growing sideways.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 12:56PM
cebury(9)

Why don't you post another pic staked? That way we can make sure it's done correctly. How much pressure did it give you when you forced it upright? Sometimes they look real funny staked, not very straight at all with large gaps between where it's tied. But if you adjust the ties every so often to different spots, in time it will appear to straighten (though many won't ever be perfectly straight).

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 6:03AM
zecowsay

Oops, I thought the last reply to this thread was mine! Hopefully you read this.

I was pretty unclear, I think, on what I wanted. I was hoping I could train the long branch to grow upwards and be the main trunk of the tree. What should be the main trunk seems to have been pruned off at an odd angle, so I had to bend it back to be able to tie the long branch to the stake.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 9:02PM
andrew78(6)

Zecowsay,
That was what I ended up doing when I got my keylime from them. Actually I took a risk and sparyed water onto the bottom part of the trunk and then put rooting hormone on it. I then buried the whole section that was wet including the main leader stump. What I had was a tree that was straight and I didn't end up with a dead tree. I say your on the right track. hope it works.
Andrew

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 9:50PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Looks perfect to me. Nice job!

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 9:54PM
cebury(9)

Zeco, how is your rang-lime looking these days? I was curious since it's been almost a year, does it no longer need the stake or has it branched?

Chris

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
what kind of lemon orange mix is this?
the inside is not like a lemon. it can be peeled easily...
preppystud
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™