Hand polination of Key lime, HELP!

pullweeds(5)April 2, 2014

I have noticed that there are two very different blooms on my key lime. I could use some help in knowing how exactly to pollinate the tree.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
norwoodn

I think most all citrus flowers have both sex parts meaning they are perfect flowers and don't need cross pollination. But when mine flowers I just get a brush and rub each flower around so the pollen transfers from bud to bud.

But when a flower is perfect, it just needs a slight bump or breeze to pollinate.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 12:25PM
pullweeds(5)

That sure does help. I'm using a small brush now, so hopefully I will some day get a key lime.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 1:46PM
JoppaRich(7b)

Pollinating will make absolutely no difference in whether or not you get fruit on a key lime. It won't really even make a difference in how many seeds you get.

As to the two different type of blossoms you've got, they all just look like different stages of opening.

Key limes will pretty much flower intermittently all year, and will hold fruit when they feel they're able. Like all citrus, they'll drop the vast majority of fruitlets formed.

Just keep it healthy, make sure its roots are in good shape, give it plenty of sun, and good water and fertilizer, and you'll get fruit.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 1:51PM
trianglejohn

"so hopefully I will some day get a key lime."

PullWeeds - perhaps you didn't understand. The flowers are perfect and do not need hand pollination. If your tree fails to make fruit it is because of something else, possibly it is too young? There is no need to do anything to the flowers to get fruit. They set fruit without pollination.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Unsure about the health of my Meyer Lemon..
Hello all! I have dwarf Meyer Lemon plant that I bought...
barbl
Help Identifying Citrus Disease?
Hi all, We just bought our first house and there's...
tvscribe
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™