streaked clematis leaves??????

Terri_Meyer_1(5)May 10, 2013

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen streaked or variegated leaves on a clematis? I just noticed that I have streaked/variegated leaves on one of my 3 Guernsey Cream's.
Thank you,
Terri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Streaking or partial variegation is typically the sign of a virus. But not to panic!! Viruses are not necessarily "bad" - that's often how variegated plants come to be in the first place. Keep an eye on it and if it looks OK through the growing season, all good. But if the vine looks like it's beginning to deteriorate or looking weak, you may need to remove at least the affected portion of the vine.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 1:23PM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Hi, Terri.

I'm usually over on the Antique Rose Forum but hopped over to this clematis thread when I discovered "variegated" leaves on my Clematis terniflora/paniculata--first time in 9 years. My variegation looks like silver streaking on the leaves. I contacted the Rogerson Clematis Collection in Oregon but have not received a reply yet. It's an interesting gardening season, isn't it?

Carol in Portland, OR

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 8:09PM
annakins(4)

My Clematis SAC has done the exact same thing this year, Carol. I was just going to wait it out to see what happens. Had a problem with leafhoppers in that section in the garden last year and didn't know if there was a connection. Took all my coneflowers except the cheap ones I started from seed.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
What size container would you recommend?
I have several clematis growing in the ground. However,...
gardenbug
Longest blooming clematis for Utah
Bloom times just don't follow the rules here in this...
kay21_utahzone5a
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Sweet Summer rabbit fodder.
I planted a sweet summer love last year and in the...
ked1985
armandii: promise me it's *really* big?
My bedroom window is effectively three stories high...
Kristin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™