Confederate / carolina jasmine rooting

Gypsy_NC(Zone 7b)August 1, 2012

Hi, ya'll. I purchased a confererate jasmine topiary this spring - although it was past it's blooming time it has grown beautifully in it's pot. (I have a new greenhouse YAY I can keep it in this winter). The plant has a large shoot that looks like it is coming from the roots. I hate to not do anything with it - do I cut it off & try to root it, or can I cut it off from the plant directly, saving some of the root? Layering? Thanks ever so much for any info - there is nothing on propagation forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lecorbeau(7b)

Hi, Gypsy,

I am in Greensboro and I have several confederate jasmines growing on my fences that all came from the same plant. I don't know enough to tell you about taking part of the root, but all my plants came strictly from cuttings.

The confederate jasmine (thick, short, glossy leaves and a white-ish star shaped flower) is different from Carolina (yellow tubular flower, narrow leaves). I have both, but I haven't tried propagating the Carolina yet.

Kat

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:08PM
lecorbeau(7b)

I should have told you that to root the cuttings, I just stuck them in the ground and kept them moist. Don't watch too closely; they take a while. Just keep moist and in a few months, they will start putting out new leaves.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:10PM
Gypsy_NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you Carolina Kate - I am going out immediately to try rooting my Confederate Jasmin. I have a wonderful shoot growing out of the root that is about a foot tall. Thanks again!

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Greenville South Carolina Plant Swap
Greenville Glen will be hosting a Spring Plant Swap...
tbug
Harvesting Japanese Persimmons
My 5-year old Fuyu persimmon tree has fruit on it for...
Ralph Whisnant
Wanted: bamboo shoots from large bamboo
I'd like to harvest bamboo shoots from large bamboo(to...
lillon
gardening in the carolinas
Yeaaa, finally found this. Now I can find what is needed...
mary grether
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™