Confederate / carolina jasmine rooting

Gypsy_NC(Zone 7b)August 1, 2012

Hi, ya'll. I purchased a confererate jasmine topiary this spring - although it was past it's blooming time it has grown beautifully in it's pot. (I have a new greenhouse YAY I can keep it in this winter). The plant has a large shoot that looks like it is coming from the roots. I hate to not do anything with it - do I cut it off & try to root it, or can I cut it off from the plant directly, saving some of the root? Layering? Thanks ever so much for any info - there is nothing on propagation forum.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lecorbeau(7b)

Hi, Gypsy,

I am in Greensboro and I have several confederate jasmines growing on my fences that all came from the same plant. I don't know enough to tell you about taking part of the root, but all my plants came strictly from cuttings.

The confederate jasmine (thick, short, glossy leaves and a white-ish star shaped flower) is different from Carolina (yellow tubular flower, narrow leaves). I have both, but I haven't tried propagating the Carolina yet.

Kat

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:08PM
lecorbeau(7b)

I should have told you that to root the cuttings, I just stuck them in the ground and kept them moist. Don't watch too closely; they take a while. Just keep moist and in a few months, they will start putting out new leaves.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:10PM
Gypsy_NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you Carolina Kate - I am going out immediately to try rooting my Confederate Jasmin. I have a wonderful shoot growing out of the root that is about a foot tall. Thanks again!

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
A New Year's Resolution
I resolve to co-exist with hairy bittercress. This...
dottie_in_charlotte
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™