Mexican Lime Tree (Semi-Dwarf)

jmeena(9 Los Angeles, East SF Valley)April 22, 2013

Hello,

I'm new to GardenWeb. I live in Los Angeles. I have a Mexican lime tree (semi-dwarf) purchased approx. 2-3 years ago. It's always been in a pot (the same one pictured).

I think I've harvested maybe a handful of limes from it, total. It flowers but not fruit. Sometimes a small fruit will grow but turns black.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with it? I'm attaching pics.

Thank you in advance.

This post was edited by jmeena on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 13:36

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well, first off, it is severely chlorotic. You don't mention what potting mix it is in, how frequently and well you water, and how frequently you fertilize your tree?? Is the tree in full sun? And, it is possible you may need to pot up, have you checked the roots recently, to see if the tree is getting root-bound? Need more info to help you out.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 6:33PM
jmeena(9 Los Angeles, East SF Valley)

Patty,

Thank you so much for the response. I'm also a newbie to gardening. I probably used Kelloggs Patio Plus All Natural Outdoor Potting Soil. I water it probably every third to fourth day with a hose until I see the water start to drain from the pot. I may have put fertilizer for the first time Feb or March of this year. It gets full sun (at least 8 hours).

I'm sorry I dont know what pot up or what is root-bound. I am so ignorant! I do not never checked the roots (how to?)

Jamie

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:52PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Okay, no problems :-) You're watering well through, so that's really great. I'm thinking your potting soil may be a wee bit too heavy. Citrus like very well draining soil, so you might want to re-pot with a cactus mix. I like to use EB Stone's Cactus Mix. If you can't find that, go to a very good quality gardening center/nursery, as pick up their best Cactus Mix. Also, what fertilizer are you using? With container citrus, you're better off using a 1/2 strength liquid fertilizer, and apply with every watering or at least every other watering. Many folks (as well as me), like to use Dyna Gro Foliage Pro. I do every other watering, but I also supplement with Osmocote Plus (must be the Plus formulation as it also has micros and the best NPK ratio for citrus) time release fertilizer. About every 2 to 3 months, I do a good flushing to rinse out any salt build up from the fertilizer. Let's try re-potting with a better draining mix, check the roots to make sure they're not circling the pot, and trim carefully to straighten out, and then apply the fertilizer and see if your little lime tree greens up for you and starts to flush. In order to set and hold fruit, your tree needs a large enough leaf canopy to support fruit development.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 1:11AM
jmeena(9 Los Angeles, East SF Valley)

Patty,

Thanks again. I'll try all of your advice. I don't know what fertilizer I used. The box said it was a citrus fertilizer and it looks like small pebbles, definitely not liquid (that much I know - ha!)

Jamie

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
New leaves - possible too much watering?
Hi! New member here. I haven't had a chance to go back...
springddd
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™