Curious about tree climbing cactus

aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)August 22, 2012

I saw this on Saturday when leaving my kids' karate class. I'd never seen anything like it before but didn't have my camera. Last evening I remembered to take the camera so I could get pictures of it.

What is it? (besides pretty cool) It looks like it's at least 25 feet up in the oak tree.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Microthrix(9)

It is an epiphytic cactus, probably aporocactus. Epiphytic cacti live up in the crotches of trees in the jungles of mexico and south america. They live in the organic matter found in the trees, like humidity and warmth (cant stand cold) and can take quite a bit of water. You should see it when it blooms. Beautiful flowers, and quite a bit of them.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 3:59PM
aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)

Oh, wow - I just Googled it. The flowers are terrific!

I had searched for it on Google over the weekend but my "tree climbing cactus" type search terms didn't help me find this particular type.

Thank you!!

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 4:10PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Just a shot in the dark (Micro knows more than I do), but when I look at the pictures, it reminds me a lot of Rhipsalis; but as Micro said, it's an epiphytic cactus nonetheless.

Planto

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 8:42PM
Microthrix(9)

It could well be Rhipsalis. I am certainly no expert in epiphytics. I have about 6 epiphytics, and they are the most common in cultivation. A flower would id for sure, but i dont even know when epiphytics mainly bloom. I guessing somewhere in april.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 9:37PM
cactusmcharris

Selenicereus is my guess - it's not a true epiphyte, as it roots in the ground, but as we all see it's got epiphytic qualities.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 10:58AM
martenfisher(9a)

I grow Selenicereus pteranthus but and that one in the picture reminds me of Selenicereus grandiflorus. They are almost the same thing.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Gasteria question
Hi all, Does anyone have experience with restarting...
hablu
Help! New to succulents and I think I have a pest!
Can you help me identify what this white stuff is on...
bbrich86
Need a good place to buy Mesembs and cheridopsis
Hi folks, Looking for a place that has a good selection...
Bama_Joe
Help with Fred Ives succulent
This is my Fred Ives succulent and I was just wondering...
Elizabeth Thornton
Jade Pruning - Advice/Comments?
I was gifted this Jade over a year ago and just did...
Danielle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™