Lovely Mystery Plants/Weeds

katthorAugust 18, 2010

I have found these two plants popping up everywhere around my yard - in the lawn, in the garden, in poor soil locations, good soil, and always in sunny spots. Any idea what they are? The plant with the white blooms grows low to the ground and spreads out wide. The other plant puts out tiny single pink blooms and looks very succulent. Are these weeds? Any ideas as to what they are or could be? From Plant Identification

From Plant Identification

From Plant Identification From Plant Identification

Sorry for the bad shot, but that is one of the plants flower buds.

From Plant Identification

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

wild guess - top plant is a veronica and bottom plant is a purslane. I believe that wild purslane will interbreed with cultivated Portulaca and sometimes you get all sorts of variations in leaf margins and petal color. Purslane, tho a weed is very healthy to snack on while your out weeding the garden - it's one of the few vegetable sources of Omega-3 fatty acids. The wild form tastes better than the half breeds or Portulaca.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 3:14PM
mom2edna(7- Charlotte, NC)

I have that same plant (top photo) growing in my beds. I have no clue where it came from. I'm really new at growing plants from seeds, and when it sprouted I thought it was something else that I had planted there (that never grew).

It reblooms.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 7:42PM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

The second is gallium. I think it is native, but still a pest for me. It breaks rather than pulls out, even when soil is soft.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™