Clematis Question....

arabianqueen69(Zone 5)May 26, 2009

I have 2 clematis vines that i bought from lowe's and planted last year. one is a HF Young and the other i'm tryin to go off memory i believe it's a Violet clematis or something with a V LOL. this year they both bloomed in May, the HF young grew faster and produce 3 flowers, the Violet grew slower and produced 1 flower. they both are still relatively small since this is their 2nd year, really 1st full year. these get mornin sun and pretty much shade with lightly filtered sun the rest of the day. my question is what do i do after they have bloomed and the petals have fallen off? do i just let them be or do i need to deadhead the old flowers, will they produce more flowers this summer? Also in the fall should i leave them be or pruned to the ground?? last year i just let them be and new growth still grew. Thanks in advance for your help. :o)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

I would Hard prune both of them since they have shown you their blooms for this year..this will allow the clematis to focus on growing bigger and stronger root system and next year they will be even better..DO NOT prune them down to the soil line..prune above the 3rd leaf axil or about 12 inches above the ground...Jeanne

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 11:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Agreed, hard prune them now and again early next spring about the same time you prune roses. This will help them grow more roots and more vines up from the crown. Otherwise, they tend to be scraggly. More vines means more flowers.

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
ianrtaylor
When should my Josephine start coming up?
I planted Josephine last spring, she never got very...
mzstitch
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™