Satsuma Orange

instengApril 4, 2013

I have a place about 2 hours North of Houston and I am looking for a source to get some Satsuma Orange trees in Texas. You can't get them shipped here from out of state. I have a couple Valencia oranges at my house in Houston and they get loaded every year but I think it would get too cold for them at my farm. It gets down in the 20's on a regular basis up there. Besides Satsumas is there any other citrus tree that would take the cold up there. I am also going to try to plant a loquat up there since I can get all of them I want for free.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

The Satsuma mandarin/orange is one of the most cold hardy varieties; it survives temperatures to the mid 20's; below that a light blanket thrown over the tree with a 100 watt light bulb inside, it will likely make it thru temps down to about 20. Good choice, easy to grow, productive and tasty. I would suspect you could find some in the Rio Grande Valley if you look around a bit.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 7:02PM
molewacker z9b Napa CA (No.SFBay)(9b Danville E(SF)Bay CA)

Hi insteng, i have a place in Napa, Ca which gets down to the low twenties for a few hours for 3-12 nights in January (this past Jan was 3 weeks). I am not sure how that relates to your temps.

One night at 18F last year convinced me that i cannot get away with growing late season varieties. All the fruit needs to be off the trees by mid to late Dec. [I don't want to bother with any special protection, but probably will do so when temps threaten the mid/low teens].
Some endure the low temps better than others of course; here is my list of hardiest to least. (I have included planting location because that can add several degrees):

Satsumas (Okistu Wase) - excellent and took the lows like champs (north corner of house - coldest area)
Trovita, Washington Navel, Fukumoto Navel - also no issues (away from house with no protection).
Moro B Orange - some leaf burn on early fall flush, fruit excellent mid/late Dec. (against stucco wall, west facing)
Page Mandarin - Fukushu Kumquat, & Nippon Orangequat - no issues (and out in open - no pretection)
Oroblanco grapefruit - minimal damage, fruit took 24F ok
Bearss Lime - late fall flush destroyed, lower fruit ok after 24F
(planted against concrete patio and / or fence - that helps)
Eureka V. Pink Lemon - fall flush destroyed (against stucco south facing wall)
Lisbon Lemon - fall flush destroyed, fruit higher than 18" off ground destroyed (against fence and concrete patio corner)
Meyer Lemon - fall flush destroyed and some further damage, but now in strong spring flush (one against a south stucco wall, the other in open... the one out in open was clearly damaged more)
Eustis and Taveres Limequats - fall flush and all fruit destroyed [these are my least favorite perhaps because i haven't had them produce any usable fruit here yet] (cold unprotected location)

I hope that helps you!

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 7:27PM
eahamel(9a)

Insteng, most nurseries have citrus right now. Check with Buchanan's in the Heights, or JRN Nursery on Harwin west of Wilcrest, they have a huge selection. If you're near Tomball, RCW on 249, I think, by the Beltway, they also have a lot of citrus. They can help you with citrus selections, too. Moro Blood Orange would be a good choice, too - they need more cold than Houston usually has to make the dark juice.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:27PM
insteng

I found several trees this weekend at a local nursery. I will probably pick up a couple this coming week and try them at my farm. I figure if I get them planted this year it gives me a year head start on them producing. I just need to decide where to plant them. The one spot is near my barn but they would be exposed to a full north wind. I will probably look for a location where they have protection from the north wind. Luckily I have over 50 acres to play with so I have plenty of options.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
My Meyer Lemon Tree is not doing well... can I save it?
Hi All, I am new to this forum and joined because I...
braun928
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™