mulching in areas that get inundated

Lojoni93August 15, 2014

I have an area by a dry stream bed--drainage easement--that I've planted with shrubs that are ok with occasional flooding. But I am worried about mulching there. Will triple shredded mulch float away? How else to keep the weeds at bay? When we get a hard rain, water gets high for a short time. It happens a couple/few times a year.

By the way, I tried to post this to the soil and mulch topic, but for some reason I am not logged in whenever I go to that topic. I am logged in for every other topic. Very annoying. I do live in NC!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Hold it down with bird netting? Put up a small "silt fence"

It's going to float, and depending on water flow, may end up downstream.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 3:44PM
trianglejohn

When it really rains, all my wood chip mulch floats. It doesn't matter what kind of wood it is, or how old and broken down it is, it ends up washed up into mini-dunes of wood chips. Where I use old leaves it stays put better but even that will wash away with heavy rain.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 4:20PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Like the idea of bird netting over whatever mulch is selected but netting would have to be easy to lift/remove to weed and then put back in place. Weeds will come and in a stormwater swale you don't want to spray herbicides.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 1:49AM
CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)

We use stone material over landscaping fabric where the moisture retention and slow-release fertilizing properties of wood mulch are not desirable - for instance under lavender shrubs.

Depending on the stone, it can add some highlighting accent (white pebbles or marble chips, gray crushed rock) or mimic roughly the color of mulch (dark red lava chips).

Maybe stone would work for this application?

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 2:21PM
trianglejohn

No matter where I have bird netting, wildlife of the reptile kind get tangled up in it. Even if it is just kept on a roll in the garage awaiting use, I will find dead snakes, lizards and box turtles tangled up in it. I have to check it when it's draped over the blueberries just to rescue anyone before they get so tangled up that they strangle. Good for keeping birds off of things but somehow bad for reptiles.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 6:25PM
butterfly4u

Lojon,
Water will move a house if there's enough of it.
I would plant some grass, mabey sod, or baby ornemental grasses, or lirope, and hand water til it takes.
You don't want weeds, so if you plant grass or something else, there won't be any weeds, just a ground cover.
Lirope will even put up with dry conditions probably better than grass.
Just buy the clumping kind of lirope, make sure it dosn't say monkey grass on the container, there are two different kinds.
You want the clumping kind only.
Mine have pretty pink and blue flowers on them.

Bookmark   August 29, 2014 at 10:25PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

liriope spicata is the one to avoid unless you want a rampant spreader.

Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 9:56PM
WhitewaterVol(8a/7b)

we use river rock in a similar area and it works well.

Most wood mulches are just going to float off the first time the area gets covered in water.

Bookmark   September 1, 2014 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™