What tree to buy in tropics

sjon(11)April 25, 2011

Hello fellow gardeners.

I have a question. I live in the tropics. Highs in the low 90s and low in the low 80s all year round. Not much rain, but i have a hose :). I already have a young lime tree (unknown species) growing and it's doing well.

I would like to expand but i don't know what types of citrus and which cultivars will do well in these climatic conditions. If i don't have it wrong, most citrus are subtropical plants.

Should i grow from seed, or should i order a plant. The latter option would be a costly one i presume.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
malcolm_manners

Grapefruit (C. paradisi) and pummelo (shaddock, C. grandis or C. maxima) are quite good in the tropics. Among the mandarins, I've seen good-quality 'Ponkan' in the consistently hot tropics. Sweet oranges (C. sinensis) won't develop very good color without cooler weather, but the flavor should be fine. With any of these, flowering may be light (and therefore lower fruit set) than you'd get in a climate with more pronounced seasons. A strong dry season followed by wetter will help stimulate a bloom.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 11:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjon(11)

I love grapefruit! Now i'm gonna try to find a plant....

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™