are these asparagus seeds?

thomis(7)August 27, 2008

I supposedly planted 20 crowns of the jersey variety which are all male and should have no seeds. These look like seeds to me. 3 of the 20 plants seeded out like this. Should I collect them so they don't fall and sprout?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

Those are the fruit, the seeds are smaller and pretty much fill the inside of each of those things you see. The fruit will turn bright red/orange which can be kinda pretty in the late fall/winter garden.

It is easier to just weed out the babies when they are a few years old or cut down the plants before the fruit start to fall (much later in the year).

Not every fruit is going to fall. Not every seed is going to sprout. Not every sprout is going to survive. No need to make too much work over it.

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 9:09AM
nancedar(z7NC)

The seeds are bright on my plants right now - so pretty in an otherwise boring late summer garden, like Christmas bulbs on tree ferns. They do seed around, carried by wind or birds or muddy shoes picking them up and laying them down.

I've found baby asparagus from these wayward seeds growing all over my fenced veggie garden, even in the daylily beds. I just dig them up and plant them where they can be taken care of properly and/or give away at least a dozen every year to those people who wouldn't buy a bundle of 25 but just want 1. Hah! They'll have 25 in two years if they are female.

Nancy the nancedar

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 10:53PM
gnomey(7b SC zip296)

wow.. I had no idea asparagus was that big. I have a packet of seeds, I'll have to find more room to plant them.

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 12:09AM
More Discussions
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
Rain barrels and soaker hoses
Here I am a aqain and gonna pester y'all one more time....
jimtnc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™