Clematis only blooms once per season

greglava(z7 VA)May 15, 2009

My Clematis looks like the one on top of the page. When I bought it the container said it bloomed from May to September. It is about 4 years old and it blooms great in May but that is it. How do I get it to bloom all season?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Don't believe anything on the tags on the clematis you purchase. They typically put generic information on them and the data is unreliable. The clematis at the top of this forum looks like Asao to me and is a type II clematis. To get it or any type II clematis to bloom more than once a year, cut it back by at least half after it finishes blooming, fertilize it with a low nitrogen/high phosphorus fertilizer, keep it watered, and it will likely bloom again later in the season. Depending on the length of your growing season, you might be able to get as many as 3 bloom cycles out of it by following these general guidelines.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 7:42PM
leaffan96_hotmail_com

I have a Miss Bateman clematis and it is absolutely full and beautiful...but it blooms the end of May and that is it! What can I do?

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 12:15AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Most Clematis bloom for a short period of time. They do not bloom all season like annuals do. To try and get another flush of bloom you can cut it back by half after it is done and fertilize with low nitrogen fertilizer and keep it well watered. As Miguel advised above....

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 5:08PM
twrosz

Due to living in the north, naturally my clematis begin to bloom later in the season than for those living in warmer climates ... though, because I've very deeply dug and amended the soil, the plants continue to push new growth and extend their bloom season into October when hard frost strikes them.

Terrance

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 5:27PM
ditas

In my zone the few clems I have, seem to collapse in the heat of Summer but as soon as cooler days start once more, I often get a 2nd surge of buds & blooms altho not as plentiful as in Jun ~ when they usually put on their show. My Blue Bell is usually a week later & keeps producing for a long time!

I've never tried fertilizing in the past ~ perhaps if I did I might get better 2nd show huh?!

The problems I've experienced w/ them are years w/ unusually odd Springs - to wet & steamy or year of earwigs & other bloom munching bugs or even the *sudden wilt syndrome*!

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 1:13AM
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

My plants with very long bloom periods or repeat bloom usually shut down when it gets really dry. Water is the trick, along with keeping a good supply of nutrients coming along. Also, many plants will stop blooming when it gets good and hot.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 12:08AM
gardengal48

'Miss Bateman' in particular blooms early and very heavily. Most sources indicate that this heavy early bloom tends to make any later reblooming unlikely. The suggestions given were to prune very lightly after the first flush - barely more than deadheading - fertilize with a low nitrogen product and hope for the best.

Not all type II's will offer a later season rebloom - many do, some don't.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Pruning???
A friend gave me a clematis, and I know very little...
organizedsarah
Sponsored Products
Live Large Flowering Clematis Louise Rowe - Set of Two
$16.99 | zulily
Leighton Garden Trellis
Grandin Road
Indian Wells Wreath
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
16" Clematis Double-Wall Copper Vessel Sink - Medium Antique
Signature Hardware
Clematis Area Rug
FRONTGATE