Luna Hibiscus - little black bugs?

christy2828(8a)August 7, 2013

Last year grasshoppers annihilated my Luna, and this year I treated it with Bayer Rose 2 in 1 systemic. No japanese beetles, no grasshoppers and I had flowers. Now I've got buds that aren't maturing, they're just dying before they even start to swell. I found some black bugs on it today, one was bigger and dead and the others were in a few of the buds, with about 8 or so in each bud. Any ideas as to what it is? Thanks so much!!!! Christy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

Aphids.
You can spray them off with the hose when you see them, they leave some brown residue, I can see some on one of the leaves in the pics.
Home centers sell natural sprays you can drench your plant at night with it.
They are the favorite food of the ladybug. Some people actually buy ladybugs for their garden, but I have found
that spraying a spray called Organicide at Home Depot works really well, on almost any pest, and it is non toxic and natural, so really that is all you will ever need with almost all of your plants. It's concentrated, so it goes a long way. I've used it for years, but do it at night, and drench the entire plant with it.
You can use it around kids and pets, totally safe.
Your hibiscus will be beautiful, I love them, I know how you feel. Mine is blooming now, with those gorgeous big flowers.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 12:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

looks like a small or juvenile shield bug.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
onions from seed; one more try
I've struggled to grow onions from seed and have tried...
thomis
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
Harvesting Japanese Persimmons
My 5-year old Fuyu persimmon tree has fruit on it for...
Ralph Whisnant
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™