Landscaping with pecan trees

meadowmomAugust 14, 2010

I have a huge, lovely old pecan tree in my front yard. I'm trying to reduce the amount of lawn I have to mow, and I'd like to make this tree the anchor of an island bed. But I'm not sure what to plant that will thrive. It is shady of course, but not dense. Grass grows right up to the trunk. Any suggestions. It is dang hot here in the summer, and y'all know about the humidity.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meadowmom

Forgot to mention - I live southeast of Columbia, in the middle of the state.

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 6:25PM
transplanted2scin07(7b upstate SC)

Daylilies (Hemerocallis) will do very well in filtered shade and come in so many wonderful colors. Hostas love shade and will be a nice compliment with their crinkly, rounded leaves. The foliage ranges from chartruese to green to blue and there are variegated ones, too. If the shade is not dense, you may be better off with the blue-foliaged varieties that are more sun tolerant. Campanulas would be an additional compliment and come in many varieties, sizes and shapes, mostly in blue-purple tones or whites, but sometimes in other colors.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 5:34PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

meadowmom, first..pecan trees/leaves/roots/nuthusks contain juglone..not near as much as a black walnut tree but sufficient to deter your success with many kinds of plants.
Do some research on which plants tolerate some juglone before you invest heavily in landscape plants/flowers to pretty up the area around that tree.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™