Best clematis to grow with MAC climbing rose

lissa1020May 8, 2014

Hi! I have a Madame Alfred Carrierre (sp) rose in its third year growing on an arbor that is 10ftx20ft. I would like to plant a purple clematis to grow through it, but have no idea which I should choose. I live in zone 9a. I think I would prefer pruning group 1 because they don't need regular pruning? Is that correct? Any suggestions would be most appreciated and thanks so much! Also, I should mention that the sprinkler from the yard sprays this bed, which is probably why my rose has no leaves on her lower legs. :)
Will that be a huge problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Pruning group 1 are all species clematis and purple is not really a color option with these. You can get some nice bluey/lavenders with the alpinas or macropetalas however. I would recommend a pruning group 3 vine. These prefer to be hard pruned annually, which I find easiest to deal with when growing through or on other plants. 'Jackmanii', 'Gypsy Queen' or 'Etoile Violette' are all great purple flowered varieties.

Try and avoid watering on any foliage. It promotes all manner of diseases, especially with roses. You may have manually adjust your sprinkler head to accomplish this.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:34PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Viola is another great deep purple group 3. Venosa Violacea has a lovely purple and white blossom.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 7:57PM
lissa1020

Thanks so much, both of you for your input! I'm going to take your advice and go with one from group 3. I'm trying to decide between 'Jackmanii' or 'Etoile Violette'. Both are very pretty from pictures I've found online. The sharpness of 'Jackmanii' flowers might contrast really nicely with the blousy blooms of MAC. Also, from info I've read it seems that 'Jackmanii' has a longer bloom period. Is that your experience?
Gardengal48: you're right, I should probably plan on trying to move or adjust that sprinkler head.
Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™