Prevent Lime to Branching

ocb2020(9a)April 15, 2011

I have a lime at the backyard, I don't like the lime tree to branch out at the lower part of the tree due to the thorns may hurt my kids. Is there any good way to prevent this? I cut the branches but it will grow back in no time. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_in_ct

If you have a young tree, such branching out will probably continue on occasion during growing phases until a good canopy of leaves and branches form above the lower trunk.

If the new growth is coming from very low down, check to see if it is coming from above, at, or below a graft union. Sometimes a poor graft will result in a lot of unwanted sucker growth. Any new shoots near the graft union should be pruned away. If a bad graft union (it should be quite obvious, if it is bad) is responsible for the new shoots, you might want to replace the tree.

Assuming the growth is just appearing on the lower trunk or lower branches, the only other thing I can suggest is to make sure you cut the branches off quite close to the trunk or larger limbs. Stubs of cut branches can have buds on them that in turn will grow into new branches.

You don't want to paint the cuts or wrap anything around the trunk or branches: those kinds of steps will only create more problems.

Finally, since the new growth will not actually harden up into nasty thorny branches in "no time," you might consider making an inspection of the tree part of a monthly or bimonthly routine that even your children could be part of. They might look for lost toys or find and count new flowers, and you might look for possible hazards. A friend of mine when I lived in Florida used to do this to find and eliminate fire ant nests before her toddler found them for her. His job was to count the nests, and hers was to sprinkle the anticide on them!

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 2:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ocb2020(9a)

I bought the house a year ago and my estimation is the tree is at least 5 years old, approximately 12-14'. Thanks for the advise.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
what kind of lemon orange mix is this?
the inside is not like a lemon. it can be peeled easily...
preppystud
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Help Identifying Citrus Disease?
Hi all, We just bought our first house and there's...
tvscribe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™