Flying Dragon and Trifoliate--are the blossoms fragrant?

persianmd2orchardApril 16, 2012

Are these cold hardy citrus going to have blossoms as fragrant as typical citrus?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrtexas(9a)

nope they don't

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:19PM
mrtexas(9a)

My flying dragon tree which is 10 years old in the ground does not have fragrant blossoms.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 9:43AM
johnmerr(11)

mrtexas,
I have found that real world experience often means little to academics/researchers... but I did find some researchers at Texas A&M Kingsville Citrus Research Center who work closely with growers and packers...AND seem willing to learn from real world experience.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 1:34PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

i've never seen a trifoilate in bloom irl, so i shall defer to you

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 10:40PM
olympia_gardener(5)

people at Edible Landscape forum was talking about flying dragon tree's flower in VA was fragrant. Here is the copy of the forum:

Posted by elder 6VA (My Page) on Fri, Sep 24, 04 at 21:49

Just have to get into the fray - P trifoliata originated in China, and was once grown in northern Europe where the rind from the fruit was candied and dried. This being the case assume it is very cold hardy. The colonists in America also grew P trifoliata as the fruit has a natural pectin which was used in making jellies, etc. In what form, and by what process I don't really know. There are actually old 'trees' growing in old town Alexandria, VA.
I have quite a stand of them (in northern VA), but have never tried eating or drinking any of their products. My trees reach a height of ten to twelve ft. They bloom early spring (the flowers on my trees being somewhat inconspicuous), have a strong scent and are used heavily by bees. Young plants are used in the citrus trade as rootstock for a variety of smaller citrus. Birds love making their nests in them, I have had as many as three nests in one tree the same spring: mockingbird, dove, and U/I. The thorns WILL puncture pneumatic tires, and the wood is extremely hard and heavy, but too small to be of much value. I would suggest that several trees planted under windows and pruned to a reasonable height would stop intruders quite readily. I have no doubt that they would serve well as a hedge plant if you are interested in keeping in any sort of large livestock......Elder

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 3:06PM
mrtexas(9a)

yup, only one post here by someone who actually has a mature tree in the ground

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 9:02PM
citrange2

I have two mature flowering Poncirus and I can't smell any fragrance at all. But noses do vary! It's also possible that a dense group of flowering trees could all together produce a smell.
I haven't tried smelling Flying Dragon, but as it's just a varient form, I wouldn't expect any difference.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 10:49AM
persianmd2orchard

Thanks a bunch guys, yeah I will hold off then on one of these. I meant only if it had that intense fragrance of standard sour oranges and such, not if it has a barely traceable fragrance. what good is citrus without the fragrant blossoms? (or the fruit). Aesthetics? Blah.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
Brown spots on leaves, help.
Hello, I'm having trouble with leaves. 2 weeks ago...
clip3
Gray veins in grapefruit
I was advised that this was the better forum for airing...
FanOcitrus
citrus trees from whole foods ID please
A couple years ago, I received a couple citrus trees...
beesneeds
Is my tree a goner???
I came home from work to find our miniature sour orange...
christimfarley
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
Sponsored Products
Cherry Blossoms Giclee 24" Wide 4-Light Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Varaluz | Reel 1 Light Wall Sconce
$159.00 | YLighting
Christmas Bouquet Fresh Christmas Wreath
$189.00 | FRONTGATE
Florio Cinzano Wall Art
Grandin Road
Martha Stewart Area Rug: Gracious Garden Winter's Day 5' x 8' Wool
Home Depot