Orange tree cuttings

jplee3April 27, 2013

Hey all,

So I've read around and seen that cuttings can be used to propagate orange trees. I'm up here in NorCal right now and my parents have a 20+ year old orange tree in their back yard. Not sure what the variety is but the fruit is pretty good (especially right now).

We flew up here so I was wondering if it's viable to take a few cuttings the night or morning before we fly back, put them in ziploc bags with a moist paper towel, and plant them in some pots when we get back to Southern California. Obviously, it would be best to get them transplanted right away, but I was curious to know if there's some leeway between the time they are cut and the time they are planted.

Also, from what I understand the cuttings I take off should not be too soft or early but they shouldn't be all woody. I'm guessing they should be a darker hardened green? And are those rooting hormones really necessary? I'm assuming those just help and increase the chances that roots will grow out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krismast(6 S.E. PA)

I'm not sure if your method would work or not, but you should check to make sure the county or area you live in and where the tree is located is not under quarantine. It could be a risky move to transport citrus even within the state of California to prevent the spread of diseases. I'm not 100% sure on all the legality behind this. Hopefully someone from CA can give more details!

Kristopher

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 6:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Ask your questions of the County Agricultural Commission of either county.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Citrus/Orange Tree in Container---Health Concerns
Hi there! So, about three years ago a friend of mine...
Grace Larkin
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™