Radar Love & Kermesina clematis

summermusicz4iaMay 15, 2009

Usually see only the more common hybrids locally. But my grocery store just received Radar Love and Kermesina. Noticed the Radar tag is zone 5 & up, I am in zone 4, not too far from zone 3. Maybe my "pile on the leaves" method would enable it to survive the winter here. What is your experience with these? Will they seed everywhere?

Thanks, Marlene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

Haven't grown Radar Love specifically but other tanguticas such as the species and Helios did either sucker and send runners out from the main plant (Helios) or did seed themselves about (tangutica the species) in the garden. Plants will react differently in different gardening zones and situations (see the recent thread on the invasiveness of clematis terniflora) so no one will be able to tell you specifically about them in your zone 5.

As to their hardiness ratings, that is normally not well known either with any certainty. I would think that with adequate mulch Radar Love should be okay in your zone but again conditions vary so much in any one give growing zone that experience is going to be your best advice.

By the way, Kermesina is a clematis that is generaly not mentioned or grown that much in my experience. I have it and like it a lot.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:18AM
pump_toad(z4 iowa)

Personally I would not plant Radar Love. I had it and finally shovel pruned it as was just a mess of vines with very few flowers.I think Kermesina would be a good choice. I saw it last summer in one of the stores and if I remember correctly it was sold by the time I got back.
If you can find one my all time favorite is Betty Corning. It's a real blooming machine.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 10:38AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

I love "Kermesina"

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™