Oroblanco vs Cocktail Grapefuit?

peebee1April 6, 2011

Hi, can anyone tell me the difference in taste between an oro blanco and cocktail grapefruit? I have only eaten oro blancos but heard about the cocktails, which are also pummelo hybrids. I am thinking of buying either, I think either will do well in my zone CA 24, about 5 miles inland from the coast. No freeze in the winter.

Thanks,

Suzie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

They both will do very well in your area - I am 6 miles from the ocean, and either 23 or 24 (rate myself as 23 since I have a cold spot on my property). I have them both. In fact, these are better selections for our climate than regular grapefruit, which require more heat for a prolonged period than our climates can provide. Melogold is also a great choice, it is from the a cross between a pummelo and a Marsh grapefruit, very similar and possibly the identical cross as the Oro Blanco, and I like it better. It is juicier and sweeter to me. And thinner skinned. Cocktail is indeed a cross between a sweet pummelo and a mandarin (Frua), so it is VERY sweet, with a hint of mandarin. They are all worth growing in my opinion, and I have all 3 in my garden, you cannot go wrong if you love the flavor of grapefruit, but need to sprinkle a little sugar on your grapefruit. With these three, absolutely no need! Yummm!!! I bought mine from Clausen's Nursery in Vista. They are mainly citrus growers, and have excellent prices and excellent stock.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clausen's Nursery

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 11:07AM
peebee1

Thanks for the info Patty. I will go to the farmers market this weekend to see if anyone has the melogold and cocktail as I have never tried either. If the melogold is thinner-skinned, I'd like that. Then I can decide which tree to buy.

Suzie

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 2:38AM

Of the three, the Oro Blanco is the thickest skinned. Then the Melogold, and lastly the Cocktail. The Cocktail is also a smaller fruit, but then probably in comparison with regard to pulp, it is probably about the same amount of pulp as the Melogold. All worth growing, and if you have the room, try all 3. If not, definitely try a Melogold and a Cocktail, as they taste quite different. You can keep a semi-dwarf pruned down so they don't get too big, and it will also keep your crop down, too. I'd rather have fewer numbers of fruit on each tree, but lots of variety, than one BIG tree with more fruit than I know what to do with :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 4:31PM

Of the three, the Oro Blanco is the thickest skinned. Then the Melogold, and lastly the Cocktail. The Cocktail is also a smaller fruit, but then probably in comparison with regard to pulp, it is probably about the same amount of pulp as the Melogold. All worth growing, and if you have the room, try all 3. If not, definitely try a Melogold and a Cocktail, as they taste quite different. You can keep a semi-dwarf pruned down so they don't get too big, and it will also keep your crop down, too. I'd rather have fewer numbers of fruit on each tree, but lots of variety, than one BIG tree with more fruit than I know what to do with :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 7:26PM
dukeoforange

Hoosierquilt --
I was thinking of going down to Clausen's one of these days. How is their selection and quality compared to Four Winds (those you can find at OSH).

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 3:41AM
More Discussions
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™