Did I make mistake on Garlic Seed? HELP!

MaPooh(7b/8a)September 7, 2012

I ordered my garlic seed for this falls planting. I intended to buy Early Italian Purple (softneck) but I was up late (as I am now) and accidentally purchased Italian Purple (hardneck). I am in SE North Carolina and everything I am reading says that this variety will not do well here. The farmer's Almanac is calling for a cold winter this year and I was thinking of trying it anyway. (Yes, I follow the Almanac - My Mom swore by it) I have considered refrigerating the seed before planting, but I am just not sure if that will help for fall planting. If I do it, I was thinking 6 weeks of refrigeration and then planting on Nov. 3-4 in my raised garden bed. (Almanac again). Any advice? Am I wasting precious garden space even trying?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

I don't think you'll have any problems. I think a lot of the catalog descriptions are hype or exaggerated and I think the differences in handling garlic is tiny. The weather is gonna play a much bigger roll than the variety and you can't control the weather.

I plant at Thanksgiving and harvest at the Fourth of July. Refrigerate if you want but watch that the bulbs don't get too dry.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Rain barrels and soaker hoses
Here I am a aqain and gonna pester y'all one more time....
jimtnc
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™