Lime tree loss of leaves

diz131April 20, 2013

Hi all, we recently purchased a small seedless lime tree and tangerine tree from a local nursery about a month Ago. I planted them both in ideal sunlight and used chicken manure as fertilizer on top. Just recently the lime tree has been losing a lot of leaves but it looks like new buds are starting to grow in place, I water them about once a week and I noticed the lime tree lose more leaves after last watering. I don't notice the leaves turning yellow or being eaten by any bugs, just trying to figure out what is causing the drop in leaves, I'm located in SoCal so the climate is ideal but it has been very windy recently. By looking at the pictures you can see the tangerine tree is better off but I water them both the same

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

If the root stock is poncirus trifoliata, the chicken manure can be harmfull. If it is on a poncirus hybrid it still might be harmful. Check out what the rootstock is. If its P.T. don't use any animal products including urine in that list

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 7:13PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Are you watering sufficiently to ensure that the root ball is getting plenty of water? Is the root ball sitting in hole that's too deep? I wonder if your trees need those stakes in order to hold them up....or can you remove or loosen them. Some sway is essential in building up a sturdy trunk.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 7:25PM
diz131

Unfortunately I'm not sure what the root stock is, the tangerine tree I planted right by it the same way is doing just fine so that's why I'm a little confused, at least it looks like all the leaves are starting to regrow where they fell.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 8:32PM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

I downloaded the picture and magnified it 5X times. It appears that I can see the surface of the root ball, That is good. As far as root stock is concerned, that is probably not the problem. Any kind of movement shock can tend to cause the tree to lose leaves later. The tree may have received its shock while still at the nursery. See w=hat others have to say. the fact that it is putting out new growth is very good

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™