New to Charleston.. need some suggestions...

nikkie_in_torontoSeptember 20, 2012

I have recently purchased a home in Charleston and am certainly enjoying a totally new palette of plants from what I have been used to gardening in Toronto Ontario and Cleveland Ohio. I have a small courtyard garden in Charleston, so I want to pack in whatever I can in my somewhat small space. I am working with a great landscaper though he seems that he wants to use some plant material that I personally find a bit boring and overused in the area. It is a part shade garden that gets mostly sun in the morning and some late afternoon sun. Its not a deep shade, rather an open, light shade. He wants to use a lot of podocarpus and pittosporum. Does anyone have any other suggestion? I like the callicarpa, camellias, gardenias, and various boxwoods, but I just would like some more ideas on a part/light shade plant. Thank you for your help! Nikkie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

Nikkie,
You are listing trees (camellias are trees) and shrubs and then you say that the space is small.
So, for plants(not shrubs or trees), daphne is nice, quite fragrant. Jasmine vines in particular Madison carolina jasmine, blooms all of April and May and sometimes into June, just cut it down good after it blooms.
They raised Charleston's zone number to 9, so if you are looking online or in a local nursery, remember zone 9.
You want something different, so mabey a trip to a local nursery in the spring will give you more of a selection.
Also, to put in the front of a bed, try the new "Snow in summer" jasmine. I have it and planted it in my front bed and it grows pretty good. It has 3 color leaves and is extremely attractive planted next to a dark green plant.
It is also evergreen, like the Madison jasmine.
Look up online and see pics, it is gorgeous.
Also, cannas come back here, so if you enjoy the tropical look of cannas, plant them and mulch well, they come back bigger the next year.
Welcome to South Carolina!

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 9:52PM
lsst(7b)

Check out Hyams nursery on Folly Rd. I am in Upstate SC but have made day trips to Hyams to find different and unusual plants.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 10:12PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

nikki, the neat thing about a courtyard is you can get real creative with vertical gardening if you have a wall or some kind of fence you can attach interesting growing pots on.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 12:24AM
More Discussions
Potatoes in Raleigh
Can anyone recommend potato varieties to grow in Raleigh?...
kckmartin
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
Harvesting Japanese Persimmons
My 5-year old Fuyu persimmon tree has fruit on it for...
Ralph Whisnant
Heirloom Seeds
Greetings! I've been away for a while. Puzzled by...
columbiasc
Sponsored Products
Quoizel Chancellor Oil-Rubbed Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
$89.99 | LuxeDecor
Quoizel Pomez TF1507VB Tiffany Piccolo Pendant - TF1507VB
$229.99 | Hayneedle
Quoizel Mirren MRN5005IB Chandelier - MRN5005IB
$249.99 | Hayneedle
James Martin 60" Charleston Single Vanity - Burnished Ash
Modern Bathroom
Royal Teak Collection Charleston Honey 43 x 17 Rectangular Wicker Coffee Table
$359.00 | LuxeDecor