Meyers lemon tree

Beckcol1April 14, 2014

I have a Meyers lemon tree I planted it last year from a pot, shortly after it lost all of its leaves, about 6 months later it started finally growing leaves back but something ate allot of them. Now after winter it's grown allot of leaves again and had a few blooms. I fertilized it 2 weeks ago and now the blooms fell off and none of them set, the leaves are also turning a little yellow and something is eating them again. What do I need to do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well, first off, let's clear out the grass carefully from under the tree. Secondly, your soil looks pretty dense, are you on clay? If so, be careful not to over water. Citrus do better when planted on raised mounds if you have clay soil. Lastly, I would identify what is eating your citrus leaves. Go out in the early morning, or later evening, as that's when bugs tend to come out to forage. I can't tell for sure, since the photo isn't close enough, but it could be snails or slugs eating your leaves. So, ID the pest and treat, accordingly. Fertilize 3 to 4 times a year, and not too late in the season, as you do not want tender new flush exposed to cold temps. Protect your tree from temps that threaten to fall below 32 degrees. Fruit drop is not at all unusual for a tree trying to re-establish itself. Give it a year to recover well.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 9:11PM
Beckcol1

What time of the year? What's best to fertilize with?

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 11:53PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

you can use most fertilizers that contain micronutrients.

i would suspect deer are munching on the leaves.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 10:50PM
Beckcol1

What would be a good watering schedule?

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 10:01AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Water when the tree needs it. Check the soil 18 to 24 inches down. If it is still moist, don't water. You'll get to know your soil's moisture retention during different times of the year. You may need to water more during hot dry times, less during cooler rainier times.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™