OT: My email account has been hacked too

karyn1(7a)October 29, 2011

It appears that my email account has been hacked and people are getting IM's and emails from this address that I haven't sent. Hope you don't get them but if you do I apologize in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chena(z8 Texas)

Seems like there is a lot of that going around!! 0_0

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 1:45PM
karyn1(7a)

I knew that something was up. I started getting IM's from Eddie and I know he wasn't sending me anything. I assume that's the same virus that snatched my address box.

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 3:47PM
eloise_ca

A few days ago, I got one from Barbra's email address, BUT I didn't get one from yours Karyn. I sort of feel left out :-( Just kidding! I hope that whoever came up with this virus, their computer blows up!

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 8:44AM
rmbill(6a)

Karyn, Is Eddie still in Brugs? I have emailed him a couple of times and gotten no response.
Bill

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 11:29PM
karyn1(7a)

I believe that he is. Maybe try sending a message on Facebook.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 9:11AM
chena(z8 Texas)

Looks Like Brendas has been also.. I just got an email from her asking me to send her $2500.00 dollars to pay a Hotel bill in the UK.. Beware!!! Seems as tho several other of her friends have as well..

Kylie

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 12:34PM
gottahosta(z7b_NE_GA)

Yup, I've been hacked, too. Getting calls all morning from worried friends. Erasing our address book is a nice touch, eh, Karyn. I have posted on FB too.
My email was from Brenda Delph, and I did not read the subject line in my excitement from hearing from her.
Sorry, all my gardenweb friends who may also be in my email address book, son't open any email from me. Like Karyn, I am fine, and not stranded in some foreign country left w.o documents or $$$.
Brenda B.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 1:06PM
karyn1(7a)

Brenda was your address book erased? I have no idea what kind of emails people are receiving from my address. All I've heard is that they are getting IM's and emails with an attachment or link. Hopefully nobody opens anything. Over the past few months I've been getting emails from acquaintances with just a link, no text, which I automatically knew were from hijacked email addresses. Nobody I know would send a link with no explanation. A couple days ago I started getting IM's from people I have no reason to get an IM from like Eddie.

What gets me is that some people actually do believe those cockamamie emails and send money. How can anyone be so naive?

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 3:53PM
green_thumb_guy(Z5 Ont)

Ohhhhh!

And hear I thought Brenda was travelling the world having a wonderful time.LOL

Who would have thought. You gotta love the cockroaches that have nothing better to do that try to scam people.

Jeff

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 6:41PM
kasha77

oh Brenda- I've already read the one from you- what will happen to me?
Darn!

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 9:17PM
roper2008 (7b)(7b)

I got an email from brenda asking for 2500.00 also. I hope they
can't track your purchases once you open the e-mail. Just in case
I'll use my backup computer for any purchases.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 10:11PM
pearlgirl

Kylie...I got that same email today..things are getting
messy!!

Margaret

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 10:44AM
chena(z8 Texas)

The one I got from Brenda was in letter form.. I can't see there being any repercussions from that there was not link to open...???

Some of the others have just been links..just delete those..

Kylie

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 11:46AM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Karyn, I got an Instant Message from you, and I tried to open it, since I recognized your email adddresss. It would not open. This was a few weeks ago. It was the first time I ever got an instant message. After our email had been hacked, Kathy from gardening in Texas told me to run the McAfee security. When I went there, it told we everything was ok, no problems with the security. I ran it anyway, it took over 3 hrs. it found 4 virus files, and tracking cookies. You may want to run your security just in case. It seemed to cleared up our problem. I hope. Barbra

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 2:25PM
eloise_ca

I've gotten a couple from Marian (lovelyiris), and told her about it so she knows her address was also hacked.

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 12:21PM
karyn1(7a)

I've been getting them from Marian for at least a couple months. It's just an email with a link. I get them from a few people, mostly those I don't "speak" with very often.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 6:39AM
gottahosta(z7b_NE_GA)

Well, I'm sorry to have been part of the problem. Yes, Karyn, it erased my email address book and hubby's too. I feel kinda leery of opening any emails now. I have received several from Mariam recently with no subject that I deleted, and another that was suspicious, saying someone "needed some advice"- too close to someone "needing your help"!!! I let everyone know that I could by posting on FB but not everyone is on Facebook.
Good luck getting back on track, whomever was hacked. My aunt was even hacked from me, and she is 77- what a PITA for her!!
~Brenda B

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 3:43PM
karyn1(7a)

That stinks about the address books. I didn't have any damage to speak of. Just the issues with people in my address book receiving IM's and e-mails.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 9:10AM
pagrdnr

Those of you who got this email....how long did it take before you noticed a virus or anything? I got the one from Brenda but I haven't noticed anything wrong with my computer. My email contacts also have not been deleted. I don't think there was a link in the email, and if there was, I didn't open it because I knew something was up. I am just wondering if you guys noticed something wrong right away or if it took a while.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 12:16PM
forever_a_newbie(z7/8 VA)

When I received Brenda's email I was kind of suspicious since my husband's account got hacked too. But I was not sure so I even replied. I hope this virus would be fixed soon. Happy gardening everyone. Changsong

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 12:36PM
eloise_ca

I haven't noticed anything different on my computer, Shawn. I got emails from Barbra, Brenda and Marian, all of which I opened, but didn't follow any links. Hopefully this will soon stop and no one else gets their address book wiped out.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
Screwed By 7servant7
Well, Take a Look At The Picture 7servant7 Is Displaying...
byrd4460
Need Brugs Cuttings
Hello, a few yrs back a very nice woman on this forum...
gardenlady48
Sharing some of my blooms with every one
Hello everyone, Here are some pictures of my blooms....
Jesse Ortiz
jhl1654
Angel Trumpet Plant Help Please!
This is a plant my mother gave me right before she...
kevbridg
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
PLC Lighting Posts 2-Light Outdoor Silver Post Light with Matte Opal Glass
Home Depot
Couristan Everest Leopard Area Rug Multicolor - 0558/5861-7.10X11.2
$699.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Porcello Contemporary Ivory Rug (8' x 11'2")
Overstock.com
Heavy-Duty Locking Mailbox
Signature Hardware
Vintage Beni Ouarain
| Dot & Bo
Cream & Brown 'Strength of My Love' Wall Sign
$32.99 | zulily
D416 4" Die-Cast Aluminum Trim by WAC Lighting
$54.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™