coarse vermiculite?

docarwen(6)September 18, 2008

Can anybody suggest a vendor for coarse vermiculite in the Triangle area? I'd really like to find something in Durham, but so far all I've found is the little 8-qt (for $4!!) bags at Lowe's. That gets pricey when one sums up to 3 cubic ft!

Some of the other forums have had comments about loose fill attic insulation, but I can't even find that -- Lowe's, Home Depot nope...

TIA :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docarwen(6)

Logan's Trading Post. Go figure.

:)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/sqfoot/msg0313401022170.html

If only they were in Durham... or I had thought of this before I drove all the way down there last week!!

Bookmark   September 18, 2008 at 1:45PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Odd, I just read an ad for a lawsuit against vermiculite producers who promoted it as loose fill attic insulation because of its asbestos contents. Last page of the current National Geographic magazine (appropriate to GW with a sprouting plant on the cover).
WR Grace Bankrupcy for selling the stuff ..some of which contains naturally occuring asbestos..

Just a thought that using vermiculite to loosen soil or mix into potting soils..might think of using a mask when working with vermiculite.

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 3:59PM
docarwen(6)

Heh. There is a *lot* of discussion about the asbestos stuff on the forums that use it more (square foot gardening, seed sprouting i think). Apparently it's a lot of bad press stemming from one bad company about 10 years back, and now any vermiculite mine/vein is regularly tested for asbestos.

Having said that... Stone Brothers in Durham has 4 cf bags of coarse vermiculite -- and a lot of other miscellaneous garden stuff :) -- and I am seriously considering wearing a mask when I mix the vermiculite in tomorrow morning. Better safe than sorry, and I hear it's dusty until it's been wetted properly.

Bookmark   September 19, 2008 at 10:50PM
FrrThom(9a)

A 3 to 1 ratio of perlite to vermiculite mix is an excellent soil less growing medium for top drip Dutch bucket systems. See the following:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dutch Bucket Hydroponic Tomatoes - Home Made System

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
Mushroom growing workshop?
Hi all, Is there any edible Mushroom growing workshop...
annanc14
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™