transporting aloe vera babies

coyote2August 28, 2013

After I separate some aloe vera babies from their parent, I need to transport them before re-potting a few hours later.

How should I transport them? In a closed plastic bag in a cooler? I'm guessing no moist paper towel on roots.

Temp will be about 90F where they are now, and will be 75F here near the coast where I'll re-pot them.

I'm a gardening noob, so I dont' have 'common sense' to rely on; hence this humble request. Thank you very much in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Put them in a paper bag (or a Hermes one) - they'll be OK. They're fine if left fairly cool and dry in just about anything for months, so a few hours won't matter at all.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:07PM
yorkiemiki

Yeah I found a bunch of aloe vera pups that I had in a paper bag/ news papers in the back of my garage. They were sitting in there forming roots for about 2 months.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 2:29PM
yorkiemiki

Yeah I found a bunch of aloe vera pups that I had in a paper bag/ news papers in the back of my garage. They were sitting in there forming roots for about 2 months.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 2:35PM
coyote2

Thank goodness, because it's already been a week and I haven't had a chance to re-pot them yet! (They still look great.)

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 2:40PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

This thread made me laugh. Transporting kidnapped babies in paper bags. I need to bag my mind and leave it in the back of a garage to grow roots. Oh, I don't have a garage.

On this topic, this is one way that is very hard to kill aloes. Putting them in soil and watering them too much is a much easier way of killing them. So don't coddle them too much. ABUSE them and they will love you back. I need to return to my dark bag. BY.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 12:31PM
coyote2

"Putting them in soil and watering them too much is a much easier way of killing them."

This is so true! It has been difficult for me to resist overwatering since they want so little and I love them so much!

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
So how about this jade?
I bought this as Crassula obliqua variegata; the leaves,...
marguerite_gw
Help needed with cutting
Hey guy I have a neighbour who has this jade first...
Hamza Nobes
Show my new collection of succulents
I got a present. Look at these succulents.
hm825
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™