Question about new clematis plants

mnclerkJune 21, 2013

I just bought three small clematis and went to plant them. They came with those cheap plasticky mini trellises in the pots. When I was trying to detangle one of the plants from them, a bunch of the stems snapped, and now there's only two or three inches of plant left - with some dark green leaves. The same thing happened when I started detangling the other one, so I just left it for now.

Is my newly tiny clem going to die? And should I try to get the other plant off the mini trellis?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gigim(8A SC)

2 things - depending on how tiny they are you may want to pot them in a larger pot for a season. I did a search on this subject and found many passionate arguments on both sides (pot vs ground). The main issue is that it gives the tiny plants a season of protection inwhich to work on thier root system before being put in the ground. Use the search engine here and see all this helpful info.
On the other hand, again I learned this from searching info about newly planted Clematis . Everyone says you should keep them pruned quite short for the first 2 seasons to force the plant to grow roots rather than stems so I think you just gave this one its first prune. I am sure that whether you plant it in a pot or in the ground as long as you take good care of it , good light and water, you will see new shoots coming from the leaf juncture before you know it.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 10:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gigim(8A SC)

If you use the GardenWeb Search Engine (within the Clemtis Forum) search "Newbie" for alot of very good info as well as "potting new plants"

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Hello, I'm looking for clematis seeds
Hello, i'm new on here so finding my way around. I...
ianrtaylor
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
Clematis heaving out of the ground?
Hi. I have a 4 year old Jackmanii clem that has begun...
lismari
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™