Little Meyer Lemon Quickly Turned Black!

lemonlamApril 6, 2013

Help! I juts purchased this Meyer Lemon Tree from Home Depot about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I've had no problems with it, and there were only about 2 or 3 teeny tiny yellow lemons starting to form (less than the size of a dime). I have been watering it and misting it, careful not to "over water", but all the sidden, I went out there this morning and noticed the little lemons that were forming are suddenly black! I'm assuming this is not normal, what could it be? What should I change, if anything? Also... how long until these blossoms will be full size lemons that I can eat?! THANK YOU to anyone who can help!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jpboston

It's not much help, but on my 10 ft lemon tree, a small percentage of baby lemons did this and I'd just pick them off. Didn't seem to foreshadow any problems, plenty of other healthy ones came and went. I always chalked 'em off as duds.

Not sure of the actual cause or level of concern though, sorry.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Perfectly normal. This is a very young tree in a small pot. I would expect it not to hold onto much fruit at all this year. Citrus will set far more fruit than they can support, then drop some to all, depending upon the age of the tree and conditions. Are you planning on planting this tree in the ground? If not, I would suggest transplanting it into a large pot, and one that is not black, with you being in AZ. Too much heat for the roots in your neck of the woods.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™