Those Finicky Meyers?

mandarin1April 13, 2012

I've noticed Meyer Lemons referred to as "finicky", "picky" "sensitive" etc. to the point where I told my sister that "Meyers seem like bratty children, prone to frequent tantrums...". Lol, I bought one anyway :-)

Do people find other lemons less finicky? In particular, is the variegated pink easier? How about lemonquats?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Where do you live? Can you grow your Meyer inground, or do you have to have it in container?
Meyers require quite a lot of attention and special care in containers; but the rewards of the fruit are worth it.
Planted inground the Meyer is much more forgiving; and when grown as a crop in the field, they are actually quite easy to grow. I have 8,000 in the field; adding another 8-10,000 this year. I also have Meyers in all my gardens; and those need a little more attention; e.g. I put foliar fert. on them every 15 days, as they do not compete well with other garden plants for water, fertilizer, etc; and they often get insects, fungi, etc from neighboring plants if not given the proper protection.
There are many huge fans of Meyers here... I may be the biggest... so, if you ask questions and post pictures, you will get enough advice to make the growing of your tree successful... and maybe fun.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 10:31PM
mandarin1

Hi Johnmerr, I live in NY so in-ground is out of the question, unfortunately! I'm actually going to try growing this particular tree indoors in a sunroom (western exposure) with supplemental lighting. I have no questions about my Meyer just yet, only wondering if people with experience growing more than 1 kind of lemon found the non-Meyer less "picky" particularly when in containers? You obviously enjoy them, I'm blown away by those numbers! Best of luck with every single tree!

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 11:49PM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

My big meyer is a brat my small one is an angel so I guess it just depends.

Mike

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 10:17AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

YOU'RE NOT KIDDING!

I have a love hate relationship with mine.

Mike

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 2:52PM
mandarin1

Lol, got it loud and clear (oh please, please let my new Meyer be an angel!). But if you were making a recommendation to a newbie who wants to grow the "easiest" lemon tree, best chances of success, would you still recommend a Meyer? Or would you lean toward something else?

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 9:09PM
woodrok

Absolutely! I have had several over the years at different homes. They have always done well and produced over abundantly. Granted mine have all been in ground but I am not very dutiful in taking care of them. I plant all my citrus and then forget about them until it is time to pick the fruit. They get some fertilizer in the spring and thats about it. So in my estimation they have to be very tolerant and forgiving.

Rob

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™