New Mandarinquat

mandarin1April 4, 2013

I ordered a mandarinquat, looks like a very pretty tree to add to my little group of indoor citrus. Does anyone have one of these? What to do with the fruit? I thought to try it candied, maybe use as a flavoring in water, learn how to make marmalade? Does anyone eat these out of hand? Can you use the rind (zest) for cooking?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RyanLo(NC 7B)

There are 2 primary forms of mandarinquat, Nippon and Indo. It might be worth while to try and figure out what type you have. I have a Nippon, It's a fun citrus to grow because of the vigor, its a nice looking dense tree, with dark orange almost red fruit(later in the season), prolific producer & bloomer. Its alot like Meyer, not in the fruit but, the way it grows. If its not holding enough fruit it will bloom and bloom throughout the summer, until its holding so much fruit at multiple stages of ripeness(at least for me it dose). The drawback is the fruit is only moderately useful, This is surely more of a novelty tree. I have had them at all stages of ripeness and the best is very late, like now or even later, They hold well on the tree for fresh eating the begin to sweeten by this time and even beyond. The fruit gets the size of golf balls or tad bigger, they are juicy, many seeds, have sweet skin with some slight bitterness/aftertaste the flesh is as sour as a lemon if you pick them before around March(depending on your climate) I would think candied or marmalade would be very good uses.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 10:54AM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

I have had mandarinquats from Jungle Jim's international fruit market and they have a sweet rhine and sour interiour. Try juicing them to make an Indio mandarinquat pie or perhaps a mandarinquat meringue pie. And eat the solids peal and all. the solids should taste very good You'll get the best of both worlds.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 11:08PM
eahamel(9a)

Take a look at this website. It's kumquat recipes. I have a Nagami, which is a sour/sweet kumquat, and made the marmalade, and it's delicious. It's quick and easy because you have to add pectin, rather than cooking it until it makes its own. There are a lot of recipes here.

Here is a link that might be useful: look here for kumquat recipes

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 8:58AM
mandarin1

I didn't know there were 2 types ( I ordered Indio not knowing). Much thanks for the tree and fruiting informtion and the recipe ideas and link! So glad this won't be "only" an ornamental!

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:49PM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

I have yet to see a nursery carry both the Nippon mandarinquat usually called an orangequat and the indeo mandarinquat, They sell one or the other. you didn't have a choice where you ordered. I have contacted many places about the culinary differences and have only got this answer, "I have never tasted the other"

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™