Clematis growing too tall for stucture.

gardenbug(8b)June 8, 2014

Okay, my Jackmanni and Huldine are leaping waaay too tall this year. They've become a tangled mess at the top of my 6'tall trellis and it's really difficult to separate the stems without breaking them. Can I trim them back a bit? They haven't flowered yet but have tons of buds. Thanks everyone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Hi ! I would let them bloom and enjoy the show! Then cut down to about a third of its size . Then run out and look for a bigger trellis because they will keep getting bigger and fuller ! :) consider a netting or chicken wire that can be disguised with your Clem's. .
Also post pictures ! Gotta see them !

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 9:28PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

I let them drape over the trellis when it gets to the top. I also have ten foot poles with garden fencing across the back of the garage and across the back of the vegetable garden. None has gotten to the top yet but Duchess of Albany has been close.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:08PM
gardenbug(8b)

Thanks to you both. I can't really change my trellis. It's a 32' long fence/trellis structure that is cemented into the ground. The clematis have been in there for 3 years now. I have 2 Jackmanni's and 2 Huldines. Last year I just let them drape over the trellis too. I just wasn't sure if you could cut them back or not. I think I'll just let them alone to flower, they look all tangled up on the top but maybe once they bloom they won't look so messy. I'll show pics when they are in bloom. Thanks again for your help.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 11:43PM
opheliathornvt zone 5

If it's a fence type trellis, can you pull the stems sideways? I do that sometimes when I have horizontal space to cover and the clem wants only to grow vertically. If you fan it out sideways at the bottom, and hold it there, it will take off vertically from there, covering more of the fence, and that will use up some of the length.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 7:39AM
gardenbug(8b)

opheliathornvt ~ Thanks. Yes, I've been doing that. It seems to be working pretty good. Thanks for the tip.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 12:58AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Yesterday I gently untangled some of the clematis stems that were growing above the neighbor's low fence and bent them carefully and wound them in and out horizontally along the fence. Some clematis are more brittle than others and occasionally there is a broken stem though not low. I do this every year.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 8:40PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Huldine grows to the top of my twenty foot plum tree...she is much too big for a 6' trellis....

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Longest blooming clematis for Utah
Bloom times just don't follow the rules here in this...
kay21_utahzone5a
What plants do you use to help shade clematis roots?
I'm just curious to know what are the names of some...
gardenbug
Sponsored Products
Red Vanilla Clematis White Porcelain Salad Plates (Set of 6)
Overstock.com
Clematis Coco Entry Mat
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
Red Vanilla Clematis White Porcelain Salad bowls (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Lakelynn Garden Trellis
Grandin Road
Dura-Trel Elmwood 6.25-ft. Vinyl Wall Trellis - 11190
$52.00 | Hayneedle
Dura-Trel Cambridge 6-ft. Vinyl Arch Trellis - Mocha - 11172M
$65.48 | Hayneedle
Live Large Flowering Clematis Louise Rowe - Set of Two
$16.99 | zulily
Leighton Garden Trellis
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for: