not doing well in a pot

lucyfretwell(ireland)June 27, 2009

I took a part of a Clematis (Jackmanii) which had layered itself and potted it up some months back.

I assumed that this favourable treatment would suit it well so that it would grow well until I could find it a proper place.

But it is not making growth and the stem has got pretty woody.I would say it.ie the stem) is about 15 inches long and just trailing along the table top.

It is sitting at a West facing window in an unheated room.

I dont see any signs of damage from insects etc so what could be wrong and can I get it to grow normally now?

(the soil as I recall is peaty compost and the pot is about 9 inches in diametre at the top)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Why you are keeping it indoors? The humidity might be too low. Clematis is not an indoor plant.
Newly rooted cuttings can take several years to get established. Stimulate root growth by pinching the vine. It will be ready to be planted in the garden when rootball will be large enough to fill 1 gallon pot.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 3:37PM
lucyfretwell(ireland)

I keep it indoors so as to keep a closer eye on it (slugs do a lot of harm ).
I do worry about forgetting to water it but I would be surprised if it would be not humid enough as this is the West of Irelsnd and we generally have a lot of rain (not normally indoors of course)

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 6:42PM
lucyfretwell(ireland)

I keep it indoors so as to keep a closer eye on it (slugs do a lot of harm ).
I do worry about forgetting to water it but I would be surprised if it would be not humid enough as this is the West of Irelsnd and we generally have a lot of rain (not normally indoors of course)

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 6:21AM
More Discussions
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Longest blooming clematis for Utah
Bloom times just don't follow the rules here in this...
kay21_utahzone5a
Aack! Clay soil!
Late one night in throes of my new clematis obsession,...
cohouser
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™