Yup. I think it's dead

queensinfoApril 14, 2014

Thanks to all those that have attempted to help over the past year. I don't think my tree is pulling out of this one. All branches have browned and seem like they are dead. I have been doing the inside/outside dance hoping to see some signs of buds but no luck. Not sure how much longer to keep doing the shuffle.

Hmm..to buy another one or not? Not sure I want to take on the expense and hassle of lights for the winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky123

Have you made a very small knick with a sharp knife on all of the twigs and stems?
I thought a mulberry was toast one spring. I scraped along each twig with a sharp knife, very small scrape and there was green under the bark. If it is dry and brown, it is dead. I had one small twig still green and now it is growing into a fine tree.
Meanwhile I went and bought another mulberry and just about the time I got the second mulberry in the hole close to the "deceased" the deceased budded out.
Now I have two. Wish I had trusted my test but two is as good as one.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 11:07PM
queensinfo

they seem pretty brown and dry. i have gotten pretty good about that since a ton of the branches have been slowly dying. The trunk doesnt appear to be dead but the outer branches all do. I will try to scrape tonight and see. A shame since it looked like this in the early fall...

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 10:44AM
houstontexas123(z9a)

the top half is definitely dead. the lower 6 inches of the trunk may still be alive.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 10:57PM
queensinfo

happy to report still some green areas under the brown. most of the main trunk, even above those bottom 6 inches, and especially the branch aiming up in the picture (would be to t he rght if picture was correct). Still contemplating ordering a new tree, seems like this one will be seriously set back if it ever takes off. Back to the inside-outside shuffle i guess.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 10:05AM
garret_87(Zone 6)

The pic was so sad! I recall your posts over the winter. What are your outdoor temps? Here in Rochester, NY I haven't started the indoor/outdoor shuffle yet because my Meyer is loving the south window+grow light.

How much direct sun does the tree get indoors? Was it too close to a heat source?

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 3:06PM
queensinfo

Thanks garret. Bringing out when warmer than 50 daytime. Definitely not too close to heat source. Actually that is a cold spot even though somewhat near radiator. It is next to a south-southwest facing window but kinda off to the side. No supplemental lighting. What type of light do you have?

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 4:15AM
garret_87(Zone 6)

I use a 150w HPS grow light over my citrus and other indoor plants. I got it online from HTGsupply for $66 plus shipping. I have to say that HPS is the superior grow light compared to fluorescents (which I also tried for citrus).

As far as supplemental lighting goes, I have also tried incandescent "plant" bulbs, CFLs and fluorescents. All these were little to no help to keep my lemon tree alive and thriving.

I would highly recommend an HPS light if you can spare the $66 to buy it and roughly $5-10 extra on the electricity bill. Honestly the electricity bill didn't noticeably change considering I use two 100w lights for my iguana, plus our PC is 400w and Xbox is 400w.

All things to consider. I hope you get another citrus! They are very rewarding when you achieve success. Keep us updated :-)

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 4:56PM
queensinfo

I bought another one but this one is just starting to come back.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Meyer leaves issue
Hello, My container meyer is having issues. Leaves...
eshieh1
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Is my tree a goner???
I came home from work to find our miniature sour orange...
christimfarley
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Sponsored Products
Peace 22 x 22 Pillow
$22.95 | Bellacor
Florence Knoll Style Armchair-Red Tweed
IFN Modern
Wool Circles Medium 18 x 18 Pillow
$22.95 | Bellacor
Pink Faux Flower Decoration
$12.99 | zulily
Design House 49W x 19D in. Cultured Marble Integral Sink Vanity Top - 551135
$296.76 | Hayneedle