How to grow Calamondin from seed.

mdcitrus(7)April 7, 2008

I just bought a calamondin and it has about 10 fruit on it! They have a good amount of seeds in them and I want to plant a few for grafting. All I need to know is how to prep the seeds before planting and what type of condition they need to be in to thrive. thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdcitrus(7)

Do I let seeds dry? Soak in water? or just pot straight from fruit? Thanks for your time

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 11:10PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Not much to it really. Wash off the seeds and pot them up right away -- maybe a half inch down in good potting mix and keep it in a warm sunny spot. Likely each one will germinate, so pot each in it's own small pot.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 8:25PM
mdcitrus(7)

So the ones I let dry out are no good? Thanks for the reply!

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 10:38PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Generally you should not let them dry out. But they may still be good if they haven't remained dry for very long. I think one or two days is probably OK. Usually they can be stored with a damp paper towel in a ziplock in the fridge for longer periods.

Bookmark   April 9, 2008 at 7:53AM
mdcitrus(7)

I just planted four, Fresh from the fruit, in small pots. We'll see what happens.

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 11:06PM
dave3333

A really good thing to do with citrus seeds is this:
Extract the seeds... soak them in a glass of water overnight or a few hours... take the seeds and carefully peel the skin off the seed, soaking in water softens the skin and makes this very easy. What i did next was put the seeds in between moist paper towells and left for a week in a container stuck to the top of my moniter (heat i beleive may also speed up the process)
This vastly speeds up the process of germination. I have only ever done this with grapefruit seeds but it worked very well. I am actually doing it with calamondin seeds as i speak. With grapefruit it took about a week, where otherwise it could have taken a month.
Also after a week (or maybe longer) you will know if youv'e got a germinated seed or not.

Bookmark   October 9, 2010 at 7:51AM
More Discussions
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™