2 out of 3 citrus have only produced one fruit

brownmolaApril 4, 2012

Hello, I have 3 dwarf citrus: a dwarf meyer lemon, a dwarf variegated lemon, and a dwarf bearss lime. They were all bought from the same nursery at the same time and are all planted in the same location, about 4 feet away from one another. They were planted a year ago. The meyer lemon produced about 10 lemons this past year and already has 4 or 5 decent sized lemons growing. The other two trees both have just one golf ball sized fruit growing on them right now and that is all they have ever produced. They all get the same watering schedule, fertilizer, and care. They have all gotten bigger and bushier as well.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Thats funny because out of the 3 of my citrus trees the only one that has yet to produce anything is my Imporoved Meyer Lemon...lol

There is one big green fruit on it so I have my fingers crossed.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 12:08AM
johnmerr(11)

In general, Meyers produce earlier and more fruit, as long as you take good care of them. Have a little patience with the others.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 1:39AM
brownmola

Thanks guys.

Blazeaglory, I totally thought the Meyer would be lagging way behind the other two and to my surprise it has been really good.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 9:48AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

No, brown, just the opposite. The Improved Meyer lemon will be your most precocious and productive citrus tree in your yard. See my "100 Pounds of Lemons" message thread I posted a little bit ago :-) If you truly have dwarf citrus trees (on Flying Dragon rootstock, as opposed to the semi-dwarf trees that are commonly available at local garden centers), that very dwarfing rootstock will slow down the tree's development, including fruit production. That's the whole purpose of using a very dwarfing rootstock - to keep the tree very small. So, if this is the case, just be patient, and your trees will start to produce more and more fruit every year. But will have less fruit overall, that a tree on semi-dwarfing rootstock.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 10:12AM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Yeah Patty. My neighbor behind me has a meyer lemon. Some mornings I wake up to a couple VERY HEAVY grocery bags full of lemons on my fence. Her tree is still full of lemons AND she has given more bags to other neighbors plus herself.

My Meyer has been a little too wet I think. Plus we have had a few cold nights. Plus my stupid grass.

browmola. I agree with patty. When I first purchased my Improved Meyer it literally had 3 leaves on it. Now less than a year later it has quadrupled in size and constantly flowers the most fragrant flowers. It puts out ALOT of fruit but they always fall off. If you read more on this site you will see Meyers are finicky trees. Just give it time.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 11:28AM
brownmola

Thanks guys, as always, all of your input is greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Advice on struggling Ruby Red grapefruit
My grapefruit tree does not look the best at the moment....
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Dekopon on its way
Well I just paid Harris for it. $38 shipped. We will...
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma
Gray veins in grapefruit
I was advised that this was the better forum for airing...
FanOcitrus
Sponsored Products
Super Chill Sectioned Salad Server
$109.95 | FRONTGATE
Fruit Antique Brass Accent Lamp
$77.99 | Bellacor
Dropp! Bowl - Menu A/S
$59.95 | HORNE
LZF | Carambola Large Suspension Light
YLighting
Lexington Footed Bowl
Classic Hostess
Hand Painted Florals Serving Bowl
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
New Charcoal Black Floral Chobi Peshawar 8x10 Authentic Pakistani Wool Rug H3803
BH Sun Inc
20-inch Fruit Pendant
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™