My confused Kishu manadarin

dicotApril 3, 2012

Planted as a 5 gallon 4 years ago and transitioned for the past two years to 100% organic, this Kishu had a bizarre winter (and now Spring). This is it's 3rd fruiting cycle in five months -- this time heavier than ever. 90F in Jan, 90F in Feb, March all over the place and now back up to 80 today. I've stuck to only compost tea - and that well diluted - as an amendment all winter and spring.

Any harm come from all this growth & fruiting? Not sure I could do much but knock some fruit off, which is like pulling nails to me. This tangerine tastes and smells like heaven on earth and is my favorite thing I've ever grown, so I'd like to treat it right.

The Gold Nugget next to it has yet to fruit, but is in a growth/flower flush right now too. Weirdest winter weather ever!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

I good friend of mine has a medium sized Navel Orange tree that is almost 40 years old that has been doing the same thing as your tree for the last 20 years. We get bags and bags of oranges at least 2-4 times a year. Thats why they call it Orange County I guess. Im sure LA isnt too different. I know My mandarin is one of my favorite trees as well!

I just thank god that places like Southern California exist to serve the wonderful Citrus trees :)

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 1:14AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

My Meyer lemon does the same thing. I wouldn't worry at all about your incredible looking Kishu. It has WAY more than enough leaves to support a ton of fruit. Let whatever goes to fruit, fruit. It will drop what it can't support. I bought compost tea bags. Guess I better give that a try!!

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 1:18AM
dicot

Thanks for the reassurance. Here's the Kishu and Gold Nugget in Feb 2011 -- this is what I've come to expect as normal, a winter crop with both done by April.

But I'll always take more!

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™