Wild Clematis? Is ther such a thing?

tinylady(07 NJ)June 24, 2007

Is there such a thing as a wild clematis? I have this vine that is taking over the side of mt woods. It has a leaf that looks like my clematis and when it blooms the flowers a a small white star shape. It smells wonderfull, but it is taking over everything and it seeds all over. I am asking this question because I could swear that I saw the same thing at a nursurey on a trellis and they said it was a clematis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Yes, there are native Clematis in the USA. There are also cultivated ones that have been spread by birds etc. into wild areas.

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 11:11AM
icotte(z9 CA)
    Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 3:30PM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

If it is white, blooms in late summer/early fall, and has a fragrance it sounds like sweet autumn clematis. Clematis virginiana blooms have no fragrance. The leaves on SAC are similar to those of a lot of other clematis. The leaves on C. virginiana look more like the leaves on the macropetalas.

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 3:38PM
tinylady(07 NJ)

Sounds like the sweet autumn one. Now how do I tame this thing. It comes up everywhere, yard, trees and other flower beds?

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 7:41AM
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

SAC is a very aggressive plant and seeds itself quite rampantly. What I have found helps tremendously is to cut the old flowerheads off as the flowers begin to fade. Other than that using roundup to kill them completely is the only alternative that I know of.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 12:01PM
robiniaquest(z6 MO)

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I am terribly allergic to SAC. It is beautiful, but a killer for fall allergies.

I am constantly trying to eradicate it, but it can get away from you in no time. The only thing I know as invasive as that is trumpet vine. Also impossible to eradicate. You can cut off your own seed heads, but your neighbors more than likely have them too.

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
Can you please post here if you find clematis at walmart/lowes
Can you please post here if you happen to find clematis...
bluehaven_gweb
ianrtaylor
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™