How to relocate a clematis

ishareflowersJune 19, 2008

I have a three y/o, very healthy clematis that is hogging up the place I put it. I would like to move it to another location but I don't want to kill it. What is the best way to move this plant without doing damage?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nckvilledudes(7a NC)

The best time to move the clematis would either be early spring when growth is just beginning or in fall early enough that the plant will have 6 or so weeks in its new location before the first hard frost. If you are going to move the plant this fall, it would be helpful if you would take a spade and plunge it in the ground in a circular pattern around the plant perhaps a foot or two out from the plant. This may temporarily set the plant back since you will potentially be cutting the roots but it will make the plant grow more roots in a tighter circle closer to the plant. Then this fall dig a little outside this cirle when you go to lift the plant from the ground. Have your new hole dug and prepped prior to lifting the original plant and plop it into its new home. Keep it watered well going into the fall and mulched well and the plant will be on its way to settling in nicely in its new home. As is always the case, trying to move as much of the rootball is generally the best practice, but if you don't, it will just take the plant that much longer to get settled back in.

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 1:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoot1(z5bNS)

I transplanted three clems last year, one came up and the other two did not. When I went to dig in the spot where I put them there was nothing there. Does this seem possible? I keep a journal of where I move my plants so I know where I put them. Could these have rotted in the ground? Any thoughts on this.
Thanks,
Dawn

Bookmark   June 19, 2008 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
ianrtaylor
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™