Coneflower seed Question

ncognito88(7)September 17, 2011

I just recived several kinds of hybrid coneflower seeds in a trade and was wondering should i plant them now since its staring to cool down and fall is approaching.Or should i refrigerate them and plant in the spring.I tried to plant some back in march and had no luck.They seem hard to grow for me.Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.Thankyou Marvin z NC zone 7

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tammy Kennedy

It's been years since i started echinacea from seed, but as i recall it needs some cold, and it wants dark to germinate, unlike most seeds (so make sure the seed is buried at least 1/4" deep). I don't know if that would apply to the hybrids or not. If it were me, i'd try wintersowing (containers, not direct). There's a whole forum on it, if you aren't familiar with how to do it. It's easy and it works great for many things that are hard to sprout otherwise. I know regular echinacea purpurea isn't that bad, seeing as how i always have seedlings coming up here and there from my original plants. As gorgeous as they are, i haven't had much luck with the crosses here.

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
I'm back after a long hiatus, and wow!
Hi everyone, I haven't been on GardenWeb for a while,...
minuet_7a
Harvesting Japanese Persimmons
My 5-year old Fuyu persimmon tree has fruit on it for...
Ralph Whisnant
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Need plant id
Hi friends, Could somebody I'd this tree. The fruit...
vidnand
Looking for some medium tomato ideas
I am not really interested in growing the biggest tomato....
minuet_7a
Sponsored Products
Purple Coneflower Rivere Canvas Art by Shelia Golden - SG0140-C1824GG
$60.99 | Hayneedle
Viento Stainless Steel Windmill Style Pinwheel - 65031
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Textured Golden Coneflower Wall Art by Lois Bryan - LBR064-C1624GG
$57.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™