Crassula perforata (?) problem

Crenda SWFL 10AAugust 5, 2014

I mentioned in another post that I have been gone for 7 weeks. This plant was left out in the elements during that time. Last month we got 11 inches of rain. So I am not sure if water is the problem. It was also in full sun, southern exposure, all day long in 90+ weather.

While one branch is flowering, there are a lot of crispy leaves that are falling off on the others. There are some offsets at the bottom. Can I, or should I decapitate and root those tops?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crenda SWFL 10A

I also suspect that this may be a scale problem. A couple of those bumps did come off with my fingernail. Will scale impact the leaves as shown? I have never had more that one or two on a plant, and I attacked those right away with alcohol.

Should I just remove what I find, or is a systemic in order? Or both? Do you think all of the above conditions (rain, heat, scale) have led to my plant looking like this?

Sigh . . . I thought I was going to be gone for a couple of weeks, but my mom needed my help so I stayed longer and didn't properly prepare my plants.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 6:43PM
DavidL.ca

Definitely looks like it's sunburned pretty badly. I would move them to a shadier area. The ones that are severely crisped I would cut and propagate, otherwise the plant should be okay. Nice to see it flower!

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 7:34PM
spapa

I do see those bumps you referred to; it could be scale. And yes, it is definitely burnt which is resulting in those crispy leaves falling off. Based on the burn pattern my guess is that rain sat on the leaves, then the sun came out and burned those areas.

There's a good tutorial on this site for scale treatment if you want to try that just in case.

Good luck!!

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 8:23PM
Crenda SWFL 10A

Thank you, my friends! I was pretty sure they were burnt, but was unsure if that is scale. I'll search for the tutorial and I have moved the plant to bright shade.

I'm mad at myself for not anticipating a longer stay. Mom has been fighting esophageal cancer for 4 1/2 years, so I should have known that something could come up. I did move all my jades out of the rain, so that was good. This one burned and my campfire rotted, but most everything else looks OK.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:32PM
Laura Robichaud

Crenda, I had the same thing happen to my perforata that was in full sun.

Sorry to hear about your mom. :(

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Do you have crazy sedums
So do you i have some sedums in a pot golden sedum...
spikef35
Lithops Seedlings!
I know it's better to start in the Spring but I just...
Tavar
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
Jade Pruning - Advice/Comments?
I was gifted this Jade over a year ago and just did...
Danielle
Snow Day Succulents
I hope everyone in the NE is enjoying their snow day!...
ehuns27 7a PA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™