One more identification question.

_sbgibbons_August 11, 2014

I've had the smaller Graptopetalum Paraguayense for a while now (it was my first succulent) and today I bought a bigger one, but when I got them home and looked at them side by side I realized that they don't really look the same at all. I know that succulents can look different from sun exposure and all of that, but I'm wondering if maybe they aren't the same thing.. Also what are the little raised bumps on the larger Ghost plant (scale maybe?) Is there anything I can do to get rid of those? Thanks again for all of your help! - Sam. :)

Ps- I can only post one picture at a time, so the other one will be a follow up.

This post was edited by Sbgibbons on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 20:09

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
_sbgibbons_

Here's the smaller one.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 6:42PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

Sam, Not so sure on the larger one (might be a hybrid). I can say the smaller one looks very much like xGraptosedum 'Ghosty'. If it blooms yellow, I'd say most likely that.

Can't say on the bumps, but not a good thing. Possibly scale, but I don't know that for sre. I'd keep it in quarantine if I were you. See if it grows out of having bumps (on new leaves.=).

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:33PM
_sbgibbons_

Okay I'll definitely keep it away from everything else. Thanks for being so helpful today! The stems do look pretty similar on both plants though and that confuses me. And when I Google the name the images that come up look more like the larger one, but when I bought them, they were both labeled 'graptopetalum paraguayense'. Here's a side view..

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:51PM

I would say they both have Graptopetalum paraguayense as one parent.

You might want to peruse the crassulaceae.net site, in the xGrapto- sections. Just keep in mind, many shown there are in Europe & not necessarily available in the trade here in the U.S..

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 11:17PM
lzrddr(91360)

First one is Graptoveria Fred Ives

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 5:03AM
rina_

I am totally confused now: is it echeveria Fred Ives or graptoveria Fred Ives or are there both?...Rina

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:01AM

Rina, just one...xGraptoveria 'Fred Ives', but I respectfully disagree with Geoff on that ID. Leaves would be thinner & wider, I believe.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:24AM
rina_

roro

thank you for the answer...I have one that was labeled echeveria Fred Ives so 'off to change the name'...the photo shows thinner & wider leaves as you mentioned.

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 10:59

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 10:30AM
_sbgibbons_

I Googled 'Graptoveria Fred Ives' and everything that came up looked like the picture above. Similar to mine, but much wider leaves. I do appreciate all I've y'alls help though. Y'all are very kind. :)

Also, for the bumps on the leaves I've read that I can water down rubbing alcohol and use a qtip and rub it on the bumps and if it is scale, it will come off. Do you think I should do that?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm a a newbie and I don't want to cause any harm to my plants.. . Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 1:24PM

No, I don't think that's a good idea on this one. You will end up rubbing off the bloom from the leaves. Bloom on the leaves, like if you touched it your fingers will look like they leave a mark -but it's actually removing the bloom. Whoever named it "bloom" should be smacked upside their head...making it confusing, for us, trying to explain. =)

Maybe try ONE bump & see what happens. :P

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 1:32PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

fred is highly variable depending on conditions. first pic doesn't look like fred to me.

fi is so beautiful!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 4:12PM
bitterlawyer

Looks like a slightly etiolated graptoveria Debbie to me

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
This Kalanchoë
Is anyone familiar with this Kalanchoë? The tag says:...
hablu
Help with jade plant growth
I have had my jade plant for over 10 years and it has...
jpkaylor
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe)- can I prune it?
I have two of these in pots. The main problem is that...
elizabethk1
New to growing cactus, leaf withering?
Hi all! I bought this mini cactus plant last Wednesday,...
s_tomato
Zebra cactus (hawarthia) help?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™