yellow 'aster' now flowering in Piedmont

gusolieSeptember 28, 2009

Can anyone provide some ideas as to what wilflower is now flowering across the Piedmont along the pine woodland edges?

Up close it looks spot-on for an airy aster, but the flowers are YELLOW, about nickel-sized. The petals are thin and brush-like, so definitely not a coreopsis.

Blossoms are sparsely found on a stem top with wide branchlets. Leaves are about 4-5 in. long, lance-shaped and about 1/2 inch wide.

Overall the plant is about 24-30" tall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Helianthus angustifolius is blooming now. Are the leaves rough textured or smooth?

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 9:01PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

All different forms of helianthus are blooming now. Darned that we had such high winds today..I had a 12' tall one (jerusalem artichoke) fall down just as the first blooms were coming. In another location they were 8-10' tall and fell over then continued to grow to 6' above ground.

Autumn has certainly arrived. Hope it's a long one.

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 11:13PM
gusolie

I'm going to drive out tomorrow and take a photo of this wildflower. It's definitely not Helianthus angustifolis. The petals are much more numerous, thin (strap-like) and tiny--truly looking like a blue or violet aster except the petals are canary yellow. Again, the plant is also no taller than 36" max.

Stand by! :)

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 2:43PM
esh_ga

Another possibility is Helianthus divaricatus which loves to grow on woodland edges.

Take a picture of the BACK of the flower as well as that can be a helpful tool in identifying composites like asters. Sounds crazy, I know, but I took a class in it last year and it was amazingly helpful.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 5:05PM
trianglejohn

Check out Chrysopsis - Golden aster - there are many types. My guess would be Maryland Gold Aster.

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 1:40PM
roberta_nc(Zone 7 NC)

I've decided the ones I am seeing everywhere around Wake County are Tickseed Sunflower, or Bidens aristosa. Not sure if that is what you're describing, though.

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
I'm back after a long hiatus, and wow!
Hi everyone, I haven't been on GardenWeb for a while,...
minuet_7a
Need plant id
Hi friends, Could somebody I'd this tree. The fruit...
vidnand
anyone grow Pseudosasa japonica?
Does anyone on this forum have Pseudosasa japonica?...
cousinfloyd
Wanted: bamboo shoots from large bamboo
I'd like to harvest bamboo shoots from large bamboo(to...
lillon
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™