Meyer lemon leaves turning yellow - help!

juliearizonaMay 3, 2013

Hi, I'm new here... and the new owner of a Meyer Lemon tree. It was just planted from a nursery (5 gallon) 6 weeks ago.

Most of the leaves are turning yellow, none of them are a rich shade of green, and quite a few have fallen off. After initially watering every day for 4 days, then moving to every 3 days, I'm now watering a total of 8 gallons every 5 days.

I read about citrus food on these forums and got the one with the most comparable ratio I could find to Arizona's Best.

I'm worried that I'm killing my Lemon! Could you help me figure out what the problem might be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Your lemon looks like it is undergoing transplant shock. Continue to treat it well and it will soon recover. You could be overwatering it, which would cause the yellowing by leaching out or making absorption difficult of the Nitrogen (a good candidate for the yellowing veins symptom)

Arizona's Best has had very good reviews here; because it is adjusted for the high pH of AZ soils; is there a reason that you live in AZ and can't get it?

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 2:13PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

In addition to John's advice, could you also post a pic of how the tree is planted at the soil-line? This will help complete the picture.

Josh

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:39PM
pgde(Tucson Zone 9)

Welcome to the forum! Where are you located? Arizona's Best can be found at Home Depot (19.99/40 lbs), Lowes, etc. Make sure it is the fertilizer formulated for Citrus (and not Arizona's Best General Purpose one).

Feel free to ask away....

Peter

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 10:21PM
juliearizona

Hi to all, and thank you for your advice.

I saw Arizona's Best but I didn't think it made sense for me to buy a 40 lb bag for my one little tree. Based on my research, I should only give it maybe 2 lbs in a year, so I thought I should buy a smaller container of the most similar kind.

I'm attaching a picture of the tree at its base, but I don't think it'll be helpful since it has been covered in rocks in the weeks since we planted. It was originally planted by the nursery staff and I know they included their "trademark 'moon juice'" which is some kind of fertilizer/plant helper.

Thanks again! Off to post on the pest forum about some other new plants!

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:15AM
juliearizona

And here is one of the whole tree.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:25AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

I agree with John, looks just like a bit of transplant shock, but do check down in the soil to make sure your little tree isn't too wet. Then, just apply your fertilizer monthly until your see your tree perk up. You may continue to see leaf drop, but look for new leaf flush. If you see that, don't worry about the older leaves dropping, as they'll be replaced with new leaves :-) And, I would definitely treat for Citrus Leafminer (CLM), as you'll have all new tender leaves just asking for CLM to do their nasty damage. You can apply Bayer Advanced Fruit Tree & Vegetable Insect Control as a soil drench once every 6 months, or spray every 3 weeks with Spinosad and Volck Oil, just be careful with the Volck OIl. Don't not use it if your temps go above 85 degrees (which is a given in the summer where you are).

Patty S.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Branch Broke. Lemon ID and other Questions
This tree was found growing on our property when we...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™