Anyone in FL have a Ujukitsu Sweet Lemon?

jsvand5May 10, 2008

I was reading about this fruit, and would like to find a plant. It does not look like any of the nurseries that I know of in FL carries them. If anyone that has one in FL and would be willing to sell a little budwood I would appreciate it. Or if anyone knows of a nursery in FL that has some in stock please let me know. Also, does anyone know a good place in FL to get some good root stock seedlings? Please email me at vandegrift12@gmail.com if you can help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladymarmalade

I saw this on Jene's Tropicals website and it sounds awfully similar to the description of the Ujukitsu Lemon. The picture also looks very much the same. Maybe same fruit by a different name?
Citrus: Lemons
Sanbokan Lemon - GRAFTED
Citrus sulcata

Sanbokan or sweet lemon is sometimes called the Sanbokan Grapefruit because of its large sized fruits and leaves. Fruits have a rough outer texture with a deep lemon color. It can be used as a lemon or lime. The taste is that of lemon but sweet instead of sour. Sanbokan grows to 10 - 15 feet within just a few years. Container growing this small tree is excellent on a patio that receives full sun. It can also be planted in the ground, reaching its mature height within 8 years, but will live if treated properly for 25 - 50 years. If grown in containers, it can easily handle a light freeze, with no damage, even when fruits are present. Its native origin is unknown, but Sanbokan is commonly grown as a dooryard and patio fruit tree in southern Japan

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 7:27PM
jsvand5

Thanks, I actually did buy one of those from Jene's. I think they are basically the same. I have read that the sanbokan's ripen a bit later but taste basically the same. After searching everywhere for a small plant, I ended up driving down to Jene's last week to pick one up because it was to large to ship. It was about a 2 1/2 hr trip. Today I stopped by the local Lowe's to pick up some potting mix and what do I see, about ten perfect sanbokan's. The wife was not too pleased when I bought one from Lowe's as well especially after spending about $50 on gas getting down to Jene's. I just hope these things actually taste good.

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 10:32PM
ladymarmalade

How lucky you are. The Lowes & Home Depots in Broward County don't carry anything nearly so unusual. I have to buy everything mail order. Right now I am on the hunt for rangpur lime. Enjoy your lemon trees!

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 7:05AM
jsvand5

It was the first time I had ever seen one at any Lowe's or HD or really anything besides the common stuff. It looked like they had just got their shipment. Now I just need to find a blood at Lowe's one of these days.

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 12:00PM
dancinggator1_yahoo_com

Where is Jene's located ? Which Lowe's carried the Sanbokan Lemon. If you don't mind, you can email the details, thank you.

JGD

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Bugs 15
Ok. I've had enough of having to wait forever to get...
mikerno_1micha
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
The whole Citrus Gang on the back deck....
Brought all the Citrus outside today for a good Neeming...! I...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™