Help! I have made a mess.

Gypsy_NC(Zone 7b)September 26, 2011

This is probably cheating but I am desperate. I have researched until my fingers have turned blue wth no results. While there is a forum directly related there are very few postings (one of mine from August of last year is still showing on the first page)and I am hoping that this will be OK because the plants in question are growing in Wake Forest!

I have 2 arborvitaes planted beside my front porch. They got huge (took over front steps, higher than the house) and my husband and I finally decided to try to do something with them before we had to completely take them out. I wanted to try to spiral them - I have some experience with topiary but this is extreme. We cut the trees back by half and tied the trunks (7-9) together. The trunks are visible at the top. When I look out my kitchen window I see bare trunks tied together at the top with greenery around. I have begun to trim them back heavily but I don't know where to go from here. My idea was to try to shape them & then do a spiral. They look terrible. Any help would be very appreciated - again sorry for asking on what is probably not exacly the right forum. As many people love topiary - you would think it would be hopping. At lease I can see my front porch again!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

Gypsy,
Please post a pic. If is sooo hard to picture what you are describing. I know you will get help here if you post a couple of pics of what they look like now.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 9:58PM
butterfly4u

Found something for you. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Arborvitae topiary instructions, spiral.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 10:25PM
Gypsy_NC(Zone 7b)

Butterfly - thanks so much for your help and for your willingness to help! If it ever stops raining (we have HUGE mushrooms in our yard) I will get you a pic. Thanks so much!

Bookmark   September 27, 2011 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
Harvesting Japanese Persimmons
My 5-year old Fuyu persimmon tree has fruit on it for...
Ralph Whisnant
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™