Madame Baron-Veillard

janetpetiole(4b)June 14, 2008

Does anyone grow this clematis?

I bought it because it is reported to bloom late in the growing season, but mine is producing buds already, which make me wonder if it's Madame-Baron-Veillard or something else. Maybe Comtesse de Bouchaud?

While I'll be able to ID it in a couple of weeks, I was wondering if anyone else grows Madame-Baron-Veillard and has seen it bloom earlier than normal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michael_in_chicago(z5)

I have grown it and it's beautiful. I've also had 3 die over the winter, unfortunately, and it looks like I'm a zone ahead of you.

I would think it unlikely that you see buds on this one just yet unless it was greenhouse raised and you planted it this year? Otherwise the buds form later.

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 7:42AM
janetpetiole(4b)

Planted late fall 2 years ago. Much of it wilted last year, so I only saw a few flowers, which were promptly destroyed by earwigs. It didn't occur to me at the time that it had bloomed too early.

Considering you lost so many MB-V's I guess I'm glad I don't have it.

How is your garden doing - have you had any flooding?

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 8:53AM
flowergirl70ks

I have it and it's blooming now. It does seem early this year. This is my oldest clematis, it was here when we moved here 41 years ago. It's very vigorous, it is at least 8' this year.

Bookmark   June 15, 2008 at 10:00PM
sheltieche

mine is in third year and I have had very little bloom last year - too much shade and blooms late- like September for me. I moved it to sunnier area and it going strong but no blooms yet or even buds.

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 10:49AM
janetpetiole(4b)

Thanks for the input, Linda.

I read somewhere that Madame Baron Veillard needs to be in full sun so the stems can ripen. I confess to not really knowing what that means. Regardless, I hope your MBV blooms well this year.

Bookmark   June 16, 2008 at 8:29PM
More Discussions
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™